Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cruise Intervals

The weather wasn't great tonight - very cold and brisk, with a stiff WNW wind. Under the circumstances I strongly lobbied for cruise intervals. Tempos are tough when it's windy, and besides, there is no reason why tempos have to be done every week. Cruise intervals serve the same purpose.

The setup was easy - three one-mile intervals with a one-minute break between each mile. The goal is like tempos - keep even splits. The pace should be slightly slower than tempo pace. This is why I thought it would work well under the conditions... with only one mile to complete at a time, it would be easier to maintain the proper pressure for the allotted time. The reasoning was sound.

The wind turned out to be lighter than I thought. By the time we hit Industrial I admitted to Jimmy we could have gone ahead with the tempos. Oh well. Change is good.

Here are the numbers I got. I apologize to the rest of the guys - it was cold when we finished and I jumped in the car and left before I got them all. Here are the numbers I have:

Athlete Mile 1 Mile 2 Mile 3
Allen 6:45 6:39 6:50
Bill 6:28 6:16 6:28
Dan 8:13 7:58 7:57
Jimmy 6:28 6:17 6:27
John T. 6:43 6:40 7:10

Dan appears to have done the best job overall. Jimmy and I went too hard in the middle, but we were chasing Allen and John T. For my own part, I was struggling a little finding pace. So was Jimmy. He started hard, then backed off. He started the second mile hard, then backed off again. By the midpoint I was warmed up and ready to go, and was in full hunt mode when Allen and John T. were within range. Anyway, the last mile was handed to Jimmy, and he did a good job bringing it in right.

Allen's numbers look pretty good, too. The last mile is the climb, so you have to allow a bit. John T. said he took his third mile easy.

Maybe if we can get some warmer weather we can hit this a bit harder...

No comments:

Post a Comment