Sunday, November 18, 2012

Post Donut Run Post

Yesterday was the 2nd annual donut run, this time an official "Krispy Kreme Challenge". Seventy-two runners made the field, with our own Jake Fiddler coming out first, Roy Ritter coming in second. For the two of them, the difference was small, a mere 30 seconds or less. Jake ran faster, Roy ate faster. Epic battle!

I think though, for me, the most amazing feat of daring-do came from Sarah Lee. As the only female challenger, she represented hard. Not only did she eat all 12 donuts, she finished the run well ahead of her son Evan. Far, far ahead. There will be some well deserved ribbing in the Lee household for some time.

I want to thank all of you guys for helping out. There is no way such events could be held without you. We are truly blessed to have so many good friends willing to pitch in to make these things happen.

I wasn't worth spit the rest of the day after the event. It's been tough at work all week, and in a way, it was lucky for the race it was. I have been doubling down on my job, teaching of course, but also formatting and repairing laptops. I'm doing it to help bridge the substantial gap we have between students and the numbers of available computers, made imperative by the unfunded mandate by our loving state officials that all ISTEP tests be conducted online entirely, grades 3-8. The simple fact is there aren't enough computers to do it, probably in most schools around the state.

Why did this help the race? Because one of the laptops I salvaged turned out to be crucial to the results yesterday. My personal computer pooped out, at least to the point it wouldn't have been usable. I had the presence of mind to take a backup computer, a bit of personal brilliance on my part.

Looking forward, there is of course the Give Thanks Run on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. This is Allen's race, and it's a great one, for a great cause. We'll all make that one again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit of a data junkie. Did you compile the results at all (order of finish, etc)?

    thx.
    j

    ReplyDelete