Sunday, July 13, 2014

Being IronBird Deckard

There was a movie a few years back titled "Being John Malkovich". It was filmed from the viewpoint of a person inside Malkovich's head, sort of an omniscient observer to all of his thoughts and sensory input. It seems an interesting way to go for this post, so I'll give it a shot. I invite you to be that omniscient observer in my head!

Man, I don't want to do this ride. I mean, I really DON'T want to do this. Why am I, anyway? I won't be racing anymore this season. Training is going to get very limited soon. Why is 100 miles today important?

It's not. So I won't. I'll just go 75. That will give me my minimum of 125 miles for the week. I went a little longer on the runs, so my plan to go more run/less ride is already in play. Yup, I'll just go 75.

Maybe I'll just go 43. That would give me 100 miles, which would be plenty. Yeah, if I start to feel bad, I'll cut it way back. No reason to pound now.

Oops, better take it easy. Something tells me today isn't going to go well. Better ease back, try to keep the sweat level down. Spin, spin, spin. No hard climbing, nothing to prove...

Wish I could get lost in some thought. My head seems all over the place here. What's the theme for today? What problems do I need to sort out while I'm out here? Geez. Only holding 16 mph. I'd better think of something; at this rate the ride is going to take over 6 hours.

That wind from the southwest is pretty strong for this early in the day. Unusual. I hope that long line of storms stretching across the middle of Illinois and Indiana doesn't drop south. By the time I see it, it would be too late to do anything about it. Could be pretty rough, too. Atmosphere has to be pretty unstable to generate a line like that without the heat of the day.

Where to go... I'm alone, so I could take 60 to Campbellsburg. But where from there? Palmyra? Seems like a bad idea going southeast with a strong southwest wind. Maybe I could drop more south, hit 337, then head east to Salem. It's still southeast, just not as much. Man, I just don't have any appetite for that today. And I really don't want to do loops between 337 and Campbellsburg. Absolutely heinous way to get 100.

Hey... what if I take 60 to Ann's Birds, cut south, but instead of turning on 337, cut across and continue south to Paoli? It's early on a Sunday, and I've barely been passed by anything yet. If I could get there, I could try 150 to French Lick. Sure, I'll have to get on 145 and head toward Tell City for a few miles, but that's a ride I've not done yet. Plus I really want to try 150.

Finally, something I can get excited about!

Okay, I've passed Mt. Pleasant, and I've come to the T. Odd... I don't remember it like this. No matter. I have to turn right to go toward Paoli, and at worst this will dump me out on 37. It's just a little ways away from here...

Okay, I'm getting concerned. Better stop and look at Google maps. (stop bike) Hey, that's highway traffic right through those trees. That's 37 right there I bet! Yup, Google confirms. Now to make my way through town...

I ran the Paoli 5k years ago, and I know there's a road that would allow me to avoid the town circle, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Better to stick with what I know. I will ride the circle. Traffic's light anyway, so it's only a matter of climbing another hill.

Wow, only 30 miles in and my saddle is bothering me. My feet too. Still don't have this new bike dialed in. I might have to look at my old saddle and replace this new one. Don't have an answer for the pedals. I tried my old shoes, and it still hurt, with the added bonus of being much more difficult to clip out. Not what I want for a safe ride.

Okay, I've rolled the dice. Leaving town speed limit is 35 mph through construction, so though it's narrow, it's slow. Church traffic has passed through, so this shouldn't be too dangerous. The trick is to hit the turn and be back through here before church lets out. That may be rough given my slow progress. Lord, I really don't feel very strong right now.

Hey, 150 is gorgeous after about 3 miles. The road is paved from here on and is smooth as a baby's butt. I even have an extra lane in places, as the lanes are not yet opened to traffic. YES! Mark this down as one of my new favorite roads. Buttah Boulevard! No real climbs to speak of, and when this gets done there'll be no reason to avoid the Paoli/West Baden connection.

Pain under my right foot is really starting to be a problem. I don't know how long I can hold aero between the saddle and the clips. Only comfortable position seems to be sitting up, and with this headwind that really slows me down. Just gonna have to tough it out.

Where did the road go? Am I in West Baden already? Wow, that was fast! Right at 38 miles, and French Lick is right at 39. I see I'm at almost 40 as I leave the southeast end of French Lick on 145. That means about 21 miles of 145 before the ride ends. That should get me down to Patoka Lake, which is pretty. Too bad I have a couple of harsh climbs into the wind before I get there.

This didn't seem so hard the last time we were here... oh wait, I hadn't ridden 45 miles by this point, and we had a tailwind. Yeah, now it makes sense. What's that noise? (looking up to my right) Oh, that nest Allen spotted last time... those aren't eagles, they are ospreys! I'll have to remember to get a picture when I come back through.

Uh-oh, this hill is long. Fun going down, not so much going up. It seems to keep going, going, going. The other side looks like it will be a similar distance up. Man, I don't feel up for this at all. I feel so slow. It's getting hot, too. Should I turn? I could pancake out here. Don't be a wuss. If you do, you do, but you're going straight ahead. Pansy.

Well, perfect. Here I am at 49 miles, and I sit atop the largest hill yet, the drop down to Patoka Lake, and it looks like I'll just get to the bottom and have to turn around. Fate can't be that cruel. It can't be that long. I know I'll get to cruise a bit along the lake before I turn. I just know I will.

Okay, I won't. Figures. The second the hill bottoms out, the Garmin hits 50 miles. Just my luck. I suppose I could carry on a bit, but that line of storms up north was serious. We are going to get storms today, it's only a matter of time. On top of that, I have to beat the church traffic off 150 or I could be in big trouble. No choice. I have to turn back now.

I can't believe this hill is really one mile long.

Hey wait, it's not so bad. Looks like I'm getting that tailwind I hoped for. Finally, something breaking my way! It sure is hot though. Losing the headwind for the next 50 miles might be harder than I thought.

Okay, get back to West Baden and you could eat. I saw McDonald's. That's where I'm going. No glorified bologna sandwich for this manly man. Burger, fries, and endless Diet Coke. That's for me!

Ow, my feet really hurt. At least I can move around on my seat to ease my saddle. I'm trapped with these clips. Reminds me of my first Ironman. Feet hurt so I picked up my feet to relieve the pressure, and immediately got debilitating cramps inside both thighs. Definitely don't want that to happen! Shouldn't though... been taking Enduralytes and drinking plenty of Gatorade. I should be good. Sure is warm, though.

Hmm. Shorts don't look snowy. Shirt is soaked though. That's a lot of sweat. My arms are also soaked, and I can feel my helmet is about to shed sweat onto my sunglasses. This could wind up pretty tough.

I'm making great time here. I've averaged over 22 mph over the last 10 miles. That's quite a wind. It's stretching the flags out. No wonder it was so slow coming out.

McDonald's! Gotta eat fast.

Chick at the counter tries her best not to look at my outfit. Impossible. The "click-click" of my shoes on tile demand an inspection. "I know, I know" I say to her. Eyes up here, young lady!

Refueled, supplies replenished, now for the 40 miles home. Only 40 miles. I look forward to 150, I just wish I could skip the rest. My M&M stash is ready to go somewhere after 80 miles, just got to lay down and go smooth until Paoli. Gotta beat the church traffic. Should have just enough time to do it.

Oh man, this road is sweet! 24 mph? Mostly flat and fast, cyclists are going to crawl all over this.

Okay, now to get through Paoli. Two big climbs, then a right turn just outside of town. Get there, then cut back a bit. Really starting to get hot out here.

Do I remember the exact way back? I think so; doesn't really matter much. I'm in no danger of getting seriously lost. Would like to keep it close to the same path, so calculating the distance along the way will be easier. I may have to make adjustments later.

Alright, back to Mt. Pleasant, and really cruising along. 22-23 mph going straight north with a strong tailwind, dancing the line between pressing hard enough to make my feet hurt and light enough to keep the sweat down.

Crossing 337, it's time for M&M's. I'll eat a few now, saving the rest for later if I need them. I just need enough protein/salt/sugar to get me in. Wait, is that the "Dachshund of Doom" ahead? Dangit, the kids are playing in the street in front of the house. The dog is sure to get all protective now and chase me down the road. And here I am without pepper spray! Where did I lose that anyway?

Oh good, the owner ran over and grabbed the dog's collar. Thank you!

Back in Lawrence County, less than 17 miles to go, and it's looking good. I'll take 60 back to Meridian despite the headwind mainly because I'll make better time. Weather is an issue now. Those storms could appear any time. The clouds to the west are beginning to show the first signs of developing weather.

Will I have to go Rabbitsville to get the miles, or do I have enough to cut over to 37? I need about a mile of leeway to do the highway path. Again, that's the better way to go if possible because of the tailwind. Looks like I have enough, so that's what I'm doing.

Huh. Figures. Get to the highway and the wind has shifted. It's now out of the northwest and is no help at all. Too late, I am committed here. Besides, I'll make over 20 mph average, and that's still faster than the other way. Just not as fast as I hoped.

One more climb - the Cut. I can do this. Slowly, sitting up, spinning, but I'm going to make it. No hurry. The clouds are certainly showing rain is on the way, but not before I'm in. I'm golden now. Just a matter of how much I need to add to get 100.

Hmmm. This is looking pretty close. My markers are all showing just a hair shy of 100 when I get to the gate. I'll drop down the alley a bit if I need to.

Hurray! 100 miles as I cross my garage door. No extra needed. Waitaminnit. I hit 100 miles almost exactly on a new course - no small feat. Man, I'm good!

So the 17th Century passes. I'm hot. Gotta clean this equipment up. Thirsty. Diet Coke time. Man, I'm hot. Let's check the weather and see what the conditions are... oh, 91 degrees, high humidity and dew point, real feel 101 degrees. Yeah, that explains it. Glad I started early!

No comments:

Post a Comment