Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Getting Better, Going Longer on the Run

This is the first week since May I haven't taken any medicine to run. Things are slowly getting better, though there is the nagging plantar pain I can't quite pin down. I'm sure it's coming from the new bike somehow. Q Ring, new pedals, seat adjustment... one or all of them perhaps. Those are the most likely culprits anyway.

I've been thinking about last night's ride. The trend this summer has been to go east harder and harder each week (on 337). Last night we held a pretty even average both ways, going a bit faster out than back. I can't be sure what to attribute that to other than a slight wind which seemed to migrate from the southwest to the northwest. It didn't bother me on my pull on the front, but I can't speak for the other guys. I felt things were more or less neutral, at least as much as they have been in a few weeks.

The reason I have been mulling it over is because our two-way average was 25.1 mph for a total of 19 miles. If you could promise me I would hold that average in a triathlon I would eagerly accept it every time, as it would probably be the fastest bike leg in any race we do. While it's true we took a break halfway through this portion, the next question is whether or not we (I) could have turned right around and ridden the same speed back. Speaking only for myself, I think, for last night anyway, the answer would be yes.

Extending that idea a bit, it occurs to me this might be an interesting thing to try for all of us. After all, we have several Ironmen in the group; it seems logical that any sustained effort at speed might be exactly the type of sports-specific workout we need. If we started at the old 337 entry farther west, we could turn this into a 20-mile circuit that would give a true average speed, as all hills and wind conditions would be neutralized.

I propose we do just that. Next Tuesday, instead of turning left on 337, the men of the group (you decide if you are a man or a mouse) turn right and head to the true start. From there it's a time trial start (or pace line if you must). The idea is simple; instead of going full-out, establish an effort level you can sustain over 20 miles. The idea isn't to blow yourself up, instead try to get an idea of where your line is and learn how to ride right on the edge. Keep in mind this turns a 20-30 minute hard effort into more like a 50-60 minute hard effort, so early caution is necessary.

I realize this won't appeal to everyone. The weather will have a lot to do with your (my) willingness to give it a go. I'm laying it out here early enough for you to mull it over and consider if it fits into your training plan. If it doesn't, obviously you can stick to the normal, going out semi-hard and standing at the pee tree waiting for someone to make the call about what you want to do. ;)

I will say I'm about 90% certain this is what I will do. Join me if you wish, no hard feelings if you don't. I figure we'll finish around the same time regardless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment