Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Whatever happens, keep going

I've often said some of the best workouts happen when you feel awful. This was the thought I carried with me to the ride. The morning run had been very tough despite perfect running conditions. My legs just felt blown. Undoubtedly a result of the century ride two days ago, along with a weekend of shortened sleep. No matter how it happened, or why, I felt awful.

Eleven guys showed for the ride tonight. Troy, John T., Roy, Allen, Jimmy, Scott, Miller, Galloway, Jimmy Dean, and myself made the effort, the highest number we've had all summer. This would give us at least two strong riding groups, depending on what we decided to do.

To that end, the weather made the choice for me. I knew a hard ride into the wind was out of the question; I didn't have the legs for that. I could give going hard on the way out a try. My plan was to push hard going out, and if I had anything left, make an effort for the way back. One step at a time on this day!

It wasn't easy going out, even with the wind. As I suspected, the legs simply wouldn't push very hard. We made great time, but I sure had to work for it. I know it was just me, because the guys behind barely broke a sweat. No matter. I had a hard effort, and that was what I wanted.

What I didn't want (or expect) were the scorched lungs at the county line. That hasn't happened before (at this point), and I wondered if I would be able to push at all on the way back. Troy started talking about going very hard, and I knew then if he did, I was going to get dropped. And that would be okay. I warned the guys to not wait on me if I fell off. They laughed. If only they knew!

Scott took the first pull, and at first I thought the end would come for me right away. He was pulling 27 mph, and the way the line was forming, I couldn't catch a draft. That was leaving me out there on my own (effectively), and the thought of trying to make that speed into the wind seemed hopeless. It didn't take long for the speed to start to drop to a more reasonable 22-24 mph, which I could sustain even without a draft. Scott's pull was long, perhaps too long, because he was pretty flat by the time he came off. Next up, John T. If he went hard, Scott might be in trouble.

John T. resumed the 22-24 mph Scott had for the most of his pull. This was a long pull, perhaps the longest of our group. I was comfortable but worried - Troy came next. And the timing would have him on during Lost River climb. Could be bad!

Indeed Troy did get that hill. He didn't blast it though. The wind really was pretty tough on the front end, and it curtailed speed for everyone all the way back. Troy did a solid job, then tapped at the top of the climb.

Miller's turn was next. He took us through the rollers at a slightly faster clip than the others (no surprise there) and tapped in time to give Jimmy the last hill. Jimmy tried to carry his smash over the last climb, and in that wind did a great job of it. Then he continued on - I wondered if he would hand over for the last bit - and waited for the pass that would surely come.

The guys didn't disappoint. First Troy, then John T., then Miller, then Bartley... I had no intention of trying. I was second in line, and since I couldn't see behind, I risked crashing with anyone right behind me on the pass. Besides, I hadn't any draft to speak of the whole way back. I didn't have much in the tank to try to out sprint those guys.

Turns out Troy made his move too soon, Bartley made his too late. Miller nipped John T. by a hair in the end by drafting until the last second. Troy's early move meant he was nothing more than the launching pad for the other guys to sprint. Bartley failed to catch the wheel of the train soon enough, and as a result never really got on. Timing is everything!

I thought the hard part of the ride was over, and in truth I was looking forward to cruising in. It was not to be. It seemed, for one reason or another, we kept yo-yoing across one another. First Scott would pass, then the other guys, then I'd think, "If they can do it, so can I!", and I'd go. Funny thing is, the more we did it, the stronger I felt. Each acceleration got easier than the one before. In the end I felt better than when I began the ride, something I definitely did not expect.

Speaking only for myself, I got what I needed from the workout, and then some. I hoped to have two strong segments on 337, which happened. I also wound up finishing with a bit more confidence than I carried in, proving my opening point.

I'm not sure about my crank setting yet. Mitigating circumstances such as the wind make it difficult to accurately compare efforts so far, but my guess is it was likely the right adjustment to make. Sooner or later we'll get a more neutral day to try this, and then I'll have a clearer picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment