Sunday, April 28, 2013

Desperation 80

In a nutshell; Indy Mini is next week. I'll have to rest at the end of the week if I'm going to have any shot at hitting Jimmy's goal, even for only 10 miles. I don't want to sacrifice my cycling at this point for a pointless race, so I'm trying to get in as much biking on the front end of the week as possible.

I have a track meet after school tomorrow I have to supervise. I'll also have to run. That's the evening, no getting around it. Tuesday is another run I need to hit. I could get a short ride before or after, but the weather is supposed to change for the worse by then too. Wednesday isn't looking a whole lot better. Thursday is possible, but that cuts into the rest.

You see the point. Whatever I could get done today needed to get done. Only one problem though... lousy weather. It rained all night and into the morning. It really wasn't safe to go out as early as I would have liked. I opted to wait until noon. That was my cutoff time, because I was shooting for 80 miles.

This was already a push. 80 is 25 more than I've gone this season, a pretty big jump. Add to that wet roads and the threat of rain, cool temperatures... part of me was screaming, "Rent some tapes, stay inside!", but I couldn't. No matter what, this one had to be an outdoor ride.

I hit the likely suspects for company. Galloway, in classic Galloway style, gave me the thumbs down after the morning run. I love that about him - no quibbling, a straight yes or no. John T. begged off. Roy didn't understand the text that suggested folks meet me at Huck's and said he couldn't make the noon starting time, but I didn't have time to explain. Only Allen failed to answer, and I wasn't waiting around.

My timetable was to be at Huck's by 1:15. Leaving at noon, this was shaving it close. It's actually almost 22 miles from my house, and with a building wind from the southwest I had to fight to get there on time, though I made it. No one was there. I decided to stop and check my messages. Allen had hit me. We exchanged messages, and once the minor misunderstandings were resolved, he agreed to meet me in Livonia.

I got there first. I rode through, turned around and started back to town, and spotted the car pulling into the church. Oddly, there were two people climbing out of the car. At first I thought James must have joined Allen, but as I got closer, I saw it was Lester.

Allen told me Lester had no shoes this time, so he'd take it easy, maybe going only 10 miles. Then Allen looked for his shoes. They weren't in the car. So now both Burrises had to go in street shoes. We wound up doing a very easy 10 miles on Saltillo Road, whereupon we parted company.

Now I thought I'd have a very rough time of it for the next 15 miles or so. I had to go back into a headwind, sorta. Turned out it didn't hurt me too bad, in fact, I had some of the most consistent speed I maintained all day. However, by the time I turned north on the Amish Super 2 I was pretty tired. I could still maintain speed, but I was 60 in and it wasn't taking much to hurt my legs.

Not much to tell after that. I doubled back the course, added a couple of miles back in town, and finished with the 80 I sought.

You can see the data here.

Gonna try for 70 more this week, likely in two more rides. I can't say for sure what days those will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment