Monday, April 29, 2013

Ominous Clouds Gather

It could be I'm a Nervous Nellie. It could be there is nothing to worry about. For years I've warned Jimmy I might not be good for sub-1:30 at Indy. I've always meant it, but never so much as now. Often I surprise myself with how easily the run goes. Maybe it will happen again.

But tell me, when the crows start gathering over me while I run, should I worry? Getting all Biblical, when the birds of the air gather, disaster is close behind. Seemed like a lot of cawing tonight during my run.

My thought, despite the significantly warmer temperature, was to go ahead and start out at a smart clip. I had my Garmin and heart rate monitor on, so I wanted to see what level I would achieve for a 3-mile effort. My splits were 7:10, 6:55, 6:59, nothing too tough. How did the heart handle it?

Check it for yourself.

This is not good news. The heart rate was way too high for that pace. It is clearly not a rate I could have sustained for 10 miles, much less 13.1. To be fair to myself, I rode 80 miles yesterday, and perhaps that had me a bit less than recovered. I'd even say it's likely true. But man, this sure wasn't a confidence booster.

I guess I could also point out that 3rd mile was going uphill, and that would cause a spike. Good news there is Indy doesn't have a hill like that. I suppose that makes me feel a little better.

Another point I could make is the course is long, given I did two turns around Hillcrest. That added time no matter how you slice it. I also added to the end to get to 5 miles even.

In the end there are the inescapables - I am woefully out of running shape. I can't afford another experiment like tonight, I'll have to taper and hope for the best. Even if it's hopeless.

4 miles tomorrow night. I will ride as well. All easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment