Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rides and Revelations

Allen has been reading my blog. How do I know? Shortly after posting last night he texted me. He read my tentative plans for riding, and being a somewhat Jimmyesque opportunist, saw a chance to slip a ride in himself.

His plan was for me to ride down to Mitchell right after school. We would meet, then we would ride back to Bedford, then do the 5:15 run. His wife would collect his bike after the run, so he wouldn't have to do a return ride. Jimmy had his running gear. Whether or not we rode to Parkview to do the exchange or got to Jimmy's office was a matter of timing.

Good thing the Allen/IronBill cooperative is a well-oiled exercise tandem.

I got a late start (ISTEP week - don't get me started on that fiasco), and there were winds from the south/southwest that had the potential to delay me. Allen wanted to be at Spring Mill Vet by 4:20. I left my house at 3:40. Got that? Forty minutes to do 13 miles. If you're paying attention, that means I would have to make 18-19 mph to get it done. My legs were still aching from last night's run. Could I do it?

Yes, I could, with time to spare. The recorded pace was a perfect 20 mph to the meeting place. We left the clinic by 4:17. Pretty dang good if I say so myself.

We were able to take things a bit easier heading back. He had ridden from his house, and finishing this bit would give him 25+ miles. Allen was concerned about THE CUT and THE RUN. He shouldn't have, really. The cut isn't that hard, and our scheduled run wouldn't be either.

Still, though I wanted the miles, I let him decide which way we took back. He opted for the highway, though we didn't ride flat out. We dropped down the incline at a pace the hill gave us, then I settled back to the agreed-upon 20-or-so mph pattern. I watched for his shadow behind me. If it fell back, I backed off. We stayed together and on the highway all the way to Bedford. Traffic wasn't terrible, but I'm sure he noticed it. I do it all the time so I don't think much about it anymore.

We got back fast enough to end the ride at Jimmy's. Since Allen had ridden a different course, he had one more mile than I had. That wouldn't do. As soon as I left him I told him I would do another, which I did.

Here is the bike.

A quick turnaround took us to Parkview track, where we tacked on a 4-mile run (or so). I could still feel my sore calves, but the new shoes helped alleviate the pain I was feeling. There wasn't a whole lot to talk about here, except for a sudden revelation.

Chicks don't like Allen.

I don't know how I could have missed it - the proof is plain to see. Let's rewind a year and add it up:

  • A coed at Wellesley College refused to kiss his cheek. I have never seen this happen before.
  • Allen's arrogance offended WinD to the point she was compelled to defend her honor at Cicero.
  • Allen's singing inflamed the ire of Mary Whatserface during the Crane ride. 
  • Huck's girl doesn't even know he exists, apparently.
  • And now, Robin found the need to kick his butt in a swim-off during last night's swim. 
The evidence is irrefutable. There's something about him that triggers a reaction, no doubt about it. I suppose there'd be little to note if that was all there was to it, but those legs of his have been drawing so much attention... It's actually inspired me to pen a new American novel. I'm thinking, "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Thighs". Kinda has a ring to it, eh? 

Okay, so I've been hard on Allen. I suppose I should throw him a bone, so here it is...

Jimmy talked about going to the track meet in Mitchell after our run tonight. I needed to be home when Leisa and Erin got there, but I figured I could just squeeze it in. I threw on my shorts over my running compression shorts and scooted out. 

I got there and had a great time seeing my girls run and talking with their parents. I even ran into an old high school chum. To top it off, I talked to Jo Scott and waved to the girls' bus as it pulled out. I climbed into the car to leave. That's when I noticed how loose my pants felt.

That's right, my fly was wide open. I basically flashed every single person I talked to all the time I was there. Lovely. Now that was a revelation...

No comments:

Post a Comment