Saturday, October 12, 2013

YOU are no Bill Deckard!

It's been a weird week in a lot of ways, and I've juggled quite a schedule both at home and at school. I started to post the other night and got sidetracked - and obviously the post never happened. Here's the post I started:

"This week is jacked up with cross events. I had the meet on Tuesday, and tomorrow night is the middle school invite. I got no miles on Tuesday, and it doesn't look promising for tomorrow.
Tonight featured Rand, Greg, Bartlett, and myself. We ran the regular route from the office, though only Rand and I went the full 5. I originally thought I'd run a bit longer after, but Rand had some chores for me, so I opted to cut it short. It's no problem - I already have two 10-mile days this week, and as many miles total as I've run per week since forever. I'm running Saturday anyway, so I'll make up whatever I need then. 
I do feel good about where things stand in my running. I think I'm actually going to be able to pull off a slow marathon at least. I have two months until the race, so yeah, there's still time to get there. Next week will tell the tale. I think waiting beyond that point would be a mistake. I checked the Rocket City Marathon site today, and the signup list has over 1200 people in it already. It will close before long."

My line of reasoning was I wanted to wait until I ran at least a 14-mile long run before I considered signing up. If I couldn't pull that off, I would have a hard time putting together a schedule that would have me ready in time.

So I arrived this morning for the run, and the thought was weighing on my mind. My schedule was cleared for the morning because of injury on my running team... I felt it was better to get to the line more rested Tuesday than to risk another injury on a workout that can't do anything but calm nerves. With the extra time, it seemed a good idea to advance the schedule a bit and go for 14 today.

I'd spoken to Miller last night, and he said he was going 22 this morning. That was my ticket to the long run I felt. The morning was cool and clear, and there didn't seem to be any reason to wait until next week.

We had a bunch there - Allen, Denny, Rand, Roy, Scott, Bartlett, Robin, and of course Miller all started with me. Most were planning for 10, though Denny and Robin peeled early for 5. Allen's leg began to bother him early on, and he finished with around 8. That left the others to go for the 10.

So Miller and I started out for the second loop. I initially planned to run down to Mikels, but said "screw it!" and we turned for the 10. I reasoned I could always return straight down Washington if trouble started, or worst case scenario, walk. Little by little, the segments came and went, and pretty soon we were on the circle. At that point I felt if I could get up Industrial without too much trouble, I'd go the whole way.

We stopped for water, and starting again was hard, but soon the rhythm was re-established. Down 35th we went, and yes, we finished the full 20 miles - actually, the Garmin listed me at 20.35, which likely was more like 20.5. This was officially the longest run since Boston 2012.

Was it smart? Not at all. My longest run so far this season is 9 miles. My weekly total has been right at 30. With today's run I have almost 55 miles for the week. Stupid on every level, no doubt, but with this compressed schedule, I have little choice.

There is some logic to this. I have been keeping a relatively good level of daily training, though the bulk has been riding. As I've moved from riding to running, I've been able to run an equivalent amount of time. My VO2 is fine - it was never a problem at all today. My legs are sore, very sore. This is a big gamble I know, but I think it's the only way to make it work.

The next two days will tell the tale. If I can continue to train, I'm pretty much golden for the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment