Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dead of Winter

Come on, spring! I'm tired of this day-to-day challenge of icy roads. Frankly, so are my hips. This old guy can't take too much more of the twisting, off-balance high-wire act called "running"...

I've taken my bike back to the Energy Lab, and I've noted the chart on the wall. I'm still not getting on board. Too compulsive, it would be a disaster - but I am noting progress.

Denny, to that point, had ridden every day this year. Quite an accomplishment for someone who didn't know if he would ride at all when he bought the bike! He's also riding longer. I was there the other night when he arrived, rode with him, then hung around after. He was on for 1.5 hours! I've known dedicated riders that couldn't stand more than 40 minutes on a trainer.

Jimmy has kept after it. No better sign of his dedication could be made than his appearance rather late on Thursday night. He'd been kept over in Bloomington for various reasons, so it was almost 8 o'clock when he showed. Ordinarily this would have been the end - not now. He too put in his hour before he left.

Scott has upped his time to break the 2-hour mark. I think he has quietly become compulsive on the chart thing. You have to be able to mentally break the time down to make it that far, but on top of that you have to have a strong urge to be there. The more you do it, the more you feel you need to do it. No one wants to give up fitness they have earned.

Miller has... well, Miller is just Miller. Nothing new here.

Roy is certainly running more. He's not biking as much in the lab due to family responsibilities, but he's at it.

Allen has stuck to schedule, pretty much. The baby this week put a dent in his training, but he'll be right back to full levels soon. Unfortunately the weather has put a dent in his swimming, and I don't have an answer for that one. We're all at its mercy.

Rand has spent some days at the lab, but we haven't crossed paths in a while.

John T. is the only one I can't fairly comment on. I've seen him run with Debbie a couple of times, but beyond that, I've seen very little of him this past month. Where are you, John T.?

What I have noticed about the lab in the short time I've been back is Netflix still doesn't work. The network seems rather unstable, for whatever reason, so I'll have to remember to rent movies when going over there alone. Sunday I am planning a long one, over four hours, so this will be critically important. I'm thinking some action, mindless action, and lots of explosions. Or maybe dragons. Yeah... active dragons that make lots of explosions...

No comments:

Post a Comment