Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I'm Back!

So it wasn't just the workout that made me feel so awful; I had a fever. My body felt like someone had worked it over with a ball bat. My head throbbed. Yup, no denying it, it was plain old sick.

I went off the grid yesterday afternoon. I made it through the school day somehow, but decided I didn't have to go through another day like that. I have a gazillion sick days, and this is what they are for! So, last night when I was still running a fever, I contacted the powers that be.

Of course I couldn't know that we wouldn't have school anyway. Or could I? Either way, we didn't, and so the day was mine anyway. And as fate would have it, I felt a ton better today. I did nothing in the morning but lay around... I wanted to be good and sure I was ready to go. I tendered an offer to Allen for a(some) workout(s), but he wussed out. Feeling it must be fate, I waited a while longer to go.

About 3 PM I felt I'd waited enough. I went to the lab, got on the bike, and cruised. There was no way to know if it would be a great idea until I tried it, so I proceeded cautiously. Things couldn't have gone better. I sailed through 30 miles, and the only reason I stopped there was because I was out of time. I wanted to make the 5:15 run from Parkview if possible, and I had just enough time to get over there.

I should have stayed on the bike, because no one was there. Again I felt fate had a hand here, because the wind was howling and the temperature was plummeting. Having been sick the day before, the prudent thing to do was to run on the treadmill at the club, which I did. This too went very well. I was able to take it down under 7:30 pace.

I decided to go by the lab and see if anyone was still there. I figured Jimmy would spin, and guessed Allen might as well. Both were there, and later Denny showed. It's good to see a healthy turnout there on a regular basis. I think everyone wins in this scenario.

As of this writing school is on a 2-hour delay for Wednesday. If I wake up early enough and have the energy, I might go ahead and get a ride out of the way. I have 90 out of a scheduled 120 finished; a good hour and a half ride would put me right on the finish line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment