Sunday, May 4, 2014

More Like It!

Please allow me to introduce myself,
I'm a man of stealth and haste.
I've been riding for a long, long year,
Left many a man's slower pace.
And I was 'round when Burris cried,
At his moment of cycling pain.
Made dang sure the pace line,
Hit the gas and sealed his fate.

Pleased to meet you!
Hope you guess my name.
But what's troubling you is the,
Nature of my fame.

Rode around in Orangeville,
When I saw it was a time for a change.
Killed the climbs and the rolling hills,
Jimmy Sowders screamed in vain.
I turned my crank,
Though the hills sure stank,
Through the savage hills,
Jimmy grabbed his flank.

Pleased to meet you!
Won't you guess my name, oh yeah.
Ah, what's puzzling you is the,
Nature of my game, oh yeah.

Just like every Tim is an animal,
And all the Burrii faint.
The Boogie guys just call me Ironbird,
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint.
So if you see me show some courtesy,
Grab the front and set the pace.
Use all your hard-earned canniness,
Or the road will lay your soul to waste.

Pleased to meet you!
Hope you guessed my name! Um, yeah!
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.
Um, mean it.
Get down!
Woo, hoo! Woo Hoo! Woo Hoo! Woo Hoo!

Nod to the Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil"

It's the first time in nearly a month I felt like my old self. It's funny. I was tired this morning, didn't run particularly well, and my legs were tired from yesterday's 100. Yet somehow, as we were on the Super 2, I snapped out of it.

The 50-mile distance meant we'd have to wrap around a bit in the normal areas, so I suggested we go to Orangeville. This found a mixed reaction, and in one (two?) case(s) open rebellion. Eight of us started the ride; two turned back the second the road threatened to really climb.

Now if I'm going to be fair, that individual did ride 100 miles yesterday, and it was a rough one. I can't really blame him for not wanting to have another hard ride. Okay, I can, but not fairly.

It's such a beautiful area to ride, so much so I don't care how hilly it is. I've ridden around this area for years, but nothing really compares to it in my book. Tunnelton might be hillier, but it's also uglier. I can't explain it really, other than to say if Orangeville is Rivendell, Tunnelton is Mirkwood. You LOTR fans will get that. The rest of you are out of luck.

I made up my mind that Miller, John T., and Bartley weren't going to simply drop me on every one of the climbs. It actually became more Miller and Bartley, as John T. didn't go after the climbs at all (by choice). I guess I figured the only way I would ever climb with these guys was to, well, climb with them!

Don't get me wrong - they're still a lot better than me. I just didn't let them completely drop me as they usually do. I figured it was better to keep contact than to let the break completely develop.

We found one hill in particular I think we'll all remember. I tried to create a segment from it, though I'm not sure how that turned out. It was a tough one, and I consider anyone who rode it today to have completed their "Pike's Peak" challenge. It was tough!

Shortly after that climb things smoothed out, and we wound the back country all the way out to 337 about a mile from the Time Trial start. The six remaining riders formed a line, I was at the head, and we pace lined back. It wasn't a hard ride, though I did go faster than the 20 mph I promised. However, and this is the most important part, no one was dropped.

A short stop at Huck's, and we were back to the Super 2. Bartley pulled this bit, doing a very fine job. After that it was an easy cruise into the church and we were all done.

My compliments to all on a great ride. It's the most fun I've had on a bike in weeks, no kidding. Special kudos to Brent, who took his first ride with us today.



No comments:

Post a Comment