Thursday, March 29, 2012

Allen and Mike

There were only three of us, but as far as I'm concerned, we were the right three for the task. ;)

Mike, Allen, and I met at Lighthouse at 5. I rode down so I could sneak in a few more miles. The weather was quite pleasant, coolish with a light northeast wind. We headed for Amish country, and it never disappoints. The greens of the fields grow deeper each day even as the sun shines brighter and longer.

Southward we traveled with Allen at the head. His new wheels sang softly to him, and he let them loose with a 25+ mph leg through the straightaway. Over and over he tested them, and I have to tell you, they looked pretty sweet. Those suckers really look nice on his Talon. And fast.

We all practiced streamlining and aero positions. This continued to Huck's, where yes, I did stop for a Milky Way and a Diet Coke. Traditions must be observed, after all.

On the way north, Mike took over the lead for the 2-mile straightaway. It's slightly uphill, so it was impressive to see him pull up at 20 mph into a light quartering wind. His knee was giving him grief off and on, which was a shame.

The rest of the way back to IN 37 was a series of glides and aeros. Once back at the highway I took the lead for the first time. This was the final straight, and we did a pretty good job of it. It was a solid ride all around, not too hard, but with some nice stretches of riding in it.

I left the guys and was soon at home. A quick bite, and out to the pool with Erin. We swam! I did only 1000 yards, and it wasn't particularly pretty. No matter. It's the second swim of the week, a victory all by itself.

Tomorrow is off - Saturday, Bloomington to Bedford run, 20 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment