Sunday, March 25, 2012

A full day

The final day of break was a keeper. The weather couldn't have been much better, and I managed two, make that three, workouts.

First was the run. Jimmy, Rand, Kathy, and I met at Parkview for the regular Sunday 5. Kathy pulled the pace, so it wound up quicker than usual. It was a good run nonetheless.

I had enough time, so I headed to the gym for weights. The main advantage to this approach is the gym was almost empty. Taking full advantage, the weight workout was knocked out in no time at all.

After church and lunch I met Galloway and Dan at Lighthouse. We were up for the Amish loop, which went by quickly. There was a north wind around 10 mph, so the way out was quite easy. Not so much so for the way back. I definitely wouldn't call it hard, just harder.

The loop is only 31 miles or so, and since I wanted 60-65 miles, I was forced to loop again. I turned back onto the course at the St. Bernards. Bernard to Bernard is 16.5 miles, I can now report.

Since I was alone, I dropped to aero and rolled with it. Heading south, the speed built up to 30 mph on the straightaway. Understandably this leg went very quickly, and before I knew it I was headed east to Huck's.

Passing Huck's, it was back out onto 337, then turning north for the return leg. I was holding in the 20 mph range on the climb into the wind - bless the new wheels! A couple of turns and a couple of climbs and I was back at the Bernards.

Turning west again, I repeated the loop one more time. This time I made my second Huck's stop for a Milky Way and Diet Coke. After this short break it was time to head for the barn. I was beginning to tire a little so this trip wasn't quite as fast, but in the end the 64-mile ride went 3:26:25 for 18.6 mph average.

All this and I got the grass mowed too!

No comments:

Post a Comment