Monday, March 26, 2012

First day back and other stuff

As I'm writing this, I'm sitting like a pretty pretty princess in my new biking shoes - Shimanos - and feeling the comfort that only an old friend can bring. Ahhh... my old set is so totally worn out. Can't wait to get these ready.

It was a 5-mile run tonight, then a swim later. I'd planned on riding too, but I twisted my back out at school again, so the workouts were limited to two. I guess it was wise after riding long and running yesterday anyway.

The run wasn't comfortable, with the back nagging at me, but we managed a good pace. We were under 39 minutes, not fast, but faster than normal. Miller, Bartlett, and Heatherly can be thanked for the pace. They kept pushing, and I just kept up.

The swim was interesting on many levels. Erin has expressed a desire to get out there a few days a week, so it will give me just the impetus I need to go. Upon arriving, the lanes were already busy with folks. We got ready and staked out our spots, and went. My plan was to do 1000 yards of pulling, which went remarkably fast. 13:33 is a pretty quick 1000 yard swim for me, even with a pull buoy. That would equate to a mile in under 21 minutes, which would have been no trouble at all.

I took a gamble at the end of the year and joined a fitness club primarily to lift (and run if the weather got bad - which it didn't). One of the benefits of lifting I hoped to gain was improved swim times. If tonight was any clear indication, it worked. By comparison, my normal time for such a swim would have been 15-16 minutes.

Rand was coaching Allen again. Allen is making progress! Good job Rand!

I was lucky enough again to be able to coach Erin a little bit on her turns. Within 5 minutes she had the fundamentals nailed and was really beginning to pound the turns. It could make a huge difference next season.

On to tomorrow...

Jimmy has it in his mind to run 10 miles at 6:50 pace. This means we'll jump off right at the beginning from Parkview and hit it. There won't be a lot of talking! I feel I'll be okay, so long as my back holds out. We'll see if Jimmy can handle it. I'm getting the sense our Tuesday nights have been all over the place in goal, and the inconsistency of the workouts has me more than slightly worried about the outcome.

I will ride after school tomorrow to warm up for the run. Not far, only 20 miles, but it should be enough to take a bit of the running edge off (with the trade-off of warming up the hip). It may backfire, but I'm going that way.

Thursday ride from Lighthouse Books, 4:30 or 5:00 PM? 31 miles?

No comments:

Post a Comment