Thursday, June 13, 2013

A run, a ride, and a movie

Thanks, Walmart!
I want to start with a big "Thank YOU!" to Walmart for a preview of "Man of Steel". While it's true tonight's showing was intended only for Walmart workers and their family members, Leisa and I did manage to slip in. Felt a little like Jimmy I would imagine. Anyway, when the movie was over we had to slip out before someone didn't recognize us.



The day actually started with a run, which turned into a wet one. The girls team did manage to practice this morning despite a downpour late in the 5-miler. It didn't hurt, even though we were soaked. Thankfully it was warm enough the rain actually felt pretty good.

Later, Leisa and I went for a ride. She was supposed to ride in the morning, but the aforementioned rain and wind persuaded her to remain in a warm and dry bed instead. We waited until the afternoon, and by then sky was beginning to clear some. It was still very windy, though that didn't stop us. I wanted 20, to which she agreed... then we got to the point I was about to turn us, and she behaved just like all my friends - she changed the plan. "Care to go 5 more miles?" Like I'd say no. I think she planned to pop that on me all along, though she denies it.

Back to the movie... we were planning to see, "Now You See Me". I was more interested in spending the evening with Leisa than the movie, so it was fine by me. However... after we paid for tickets and were heading to our movie I noticed the main theater was showing Superman. No one was guarding the door, so... in we went.

As for the movie itself... if you go, bear in mind it's a prequel. More specifically, it's a relaunch. That means the franchise is restarting, and the new team wants to put a new spin on it. To that end, they've done a great job. The characters are well-cast, and Leisa assures me the new Superman is hot. Well, "eye-candy" was here exact description. It was a little slow in the early going, but that is how all prequels go. Once the action got going, it didn't stop. I would give it a B+ as superhero movies go. Definitely worth seeing, but it won't wow people the way the first Spider-Man and Ironman did. It will satisfy comic book aficionados, who won't mind at all the liberties taken with the tried-and-true formula of the Superman/Clark Kent alter-ego dilemma.

Summary: well-cast, reasonably compelling story, villains were villainy without being excessively villainous. Zod wasn't a one-dimensional cartoon of evil he's usually cast as, and even Jor-El was given a different seasoning with the fine acting of Russell Crowe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment