Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Burr-Eye and Me

I tried to run with the girls this morning, but events (I won't go into it) prevented me from going very far. Oh well... I'd ride with the Burr-Eye (Allen and Lester), then run with Jimmy later.

The appointed hour came, and as I pulled into Lighthouse, the boys were still waiting, bikes still loaded in their trucks. You see, a line of storms was approaching from the northwest, and they wondered if maybe we should start from Allen's church. I thought it was a good idea, if not for the same reason Allen suggested it. I think (maybe erroneously) that Allen believed if we moved south some we'd avoid the storm. I had no such illusion. If we rode, we would get wet, period. My thought was I'd rather be on the flatter stretches with more shelter if we got caught out. Having to come back on Rabbitsville in a heavy storm didn't make sense.

So we unloaded at the church. This is where I almost won breakfast. Allen asked what I thought - meaning, would we beat the rain. "Let me be clear," says I, "we are going to get wet." There was no equivocation about my statement. I can interpret a radar. No way we could avoid what was coming. I just wasn't afraid of it. As long as there was no hail, I was fine. Allen said, "I'd just about make a bet with you on that." Man, I wish he'd bitten.

We set out towards Huck's, Lester in tow, and we cruised. Sure, the line to the north was dark when we left, but onward we rode. There was a slight headwind going out, so it looked as though we'd get pushed home if we needed it.

We were headed east into Huck's when we saw the first clear flash of lightning away to the north in Mitchell. "Turn now!", I said. Small matter. Though I'd stated I didn't think this storm, which had taken all day to get through Illinois, would pick up speed and catch us out, that's precisely what it did. I had about enough time to caution Lester about not doing anything sudden on the rain-soaked roads we were about to face when we rode into it.

All the great plans of having a tailwind were dashed as the storm's downdraft blast hit us. Rushing in from the northwest, it was a jet blast of cold air. Both Allen and I were riding our aero wheels, and as many miles as I've put on them and as much experience as I have doing so, it was difficult to keep my bike on the road. The lateral winds were... substantial. The rain was heavy, and visibility quickly dropped. Traffic buzzed around us, and still we rode on. What else could we do? We were midway down the Amish Super 2. Nothing to do for it but ride on.

Near the end of that straightaway the lightning began to get serious. This was the only time we seriously considered trying to find shelter. However, by the time we figured out a place, it let off a little, and we were so close to finishing we just rode it in.

It was only 16.5 miles, but we earned every one of them. It's the wettest I've been on a bike in years. The good news is my bike got a very thorough wash. I even lubed it up afterward.

Though another line of storms was approaching, I went to Jimmy's at 5:15. His luck held, and we were able to get all 5 miles in before the line hit us. So, even though I didn't get as many miles as I hoped today (actually, about half), I did bike. The run was a standard distance, and keeps my week on track.

Tomorrow I run with the girls and swim. That's about all!

No comments:

Post a Comment