Friday, June 21, 2013

Out of the Ashes

As previously noted, by midweek this week it looked as if all numbers were squashed, and making the quota would be next to impossible. Not that it would have been a terrible thing... Jim-N-I, though not a race, affects the body exactly the way a long course race would. Like it or not, that was over 5 hours of strenuous activity in the sun. A down week this week might have even been a good idea - no, a great idea. Unfortunately it's not where my mind was.

I took Sunday off, because frankly I had to. The end of Saturday's run was pretty much the end of me for at least a day. I knew I wouldn't run the next day, but there had been a slim hope for a ride. By midday Sunday, that hope had evaporated.

Monday came and went. I wound up with two runs for 11 miles, and I figured that was enough for a day. I wasn't fully recovered yet, and I knew it.

Tuesday... this is where I planned to make it up. I would go early, put in enough miles so that I wound up with 50-60 miles by the end of the evening. I didn't have to run, my legs were more rested, it was doable. With two more 40+ rides on the week, my mileage would be fine. Not a full week, but I didn't really have to have a full week.

Then it stormed on Tuesday, and that went out the window. With my back to the wall, I rode big on Wednesday and got everything back on track. A swim Thursday even got the swim yardage in. One more ride and a few runs were all that separated me from my full week.

The plan was to run then ride on Saturday. Along with the 118 already banked, I had easily enough in the plan to meet and exceed the 150 goal. The runs were in the bag too. Then Allen asked for a ride today. I thought  about it. I really only needed 32 for the week, and his Lighthouse ride would fit the bill. I'd run with the girls in the morning and then ride with him right after. The schedule was tight, but doable. And, by doing this, I left myself with a lot of flexibility for Saturday.

Our ride was easy, the weather was beautiful, and everyone got what they needed. The girls got to run at Spring Mill; Allen got to ride once this week before leaving for his sky-diving adventure; and I made my weekly bike mileage. Anything I get tomorrow is gravy now.

Allen was talking today about his French Lick ride, which we may do next week. Looking forward to this 85-mile odyssey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment