Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Pace Line That Wasn't

My applause to all the studs who showed to ride tonight - John T., Scott, Roy, Allen, Miller, Troy, myself - and a nod to those that considered it - Greg, Jimmy - because the weather was totally against all sane efforts to conduct this weekly event.

I arrived early. My plan was to add up to 20 miles before the ride so I could get a jump on the week. I didn't ride Sunday because I was too sore from Saturday's event. Yesterday I begged off because it looked like the weather was closing in. Tonight it did.

I took an easy spin south to Huck's, starting from Allen's church. It was an hour round trip for 18 miles, not hard at all. However, on the way back, the clouds I feared would develop into an individual storm cell exceeded my worst expectations and had exploded into a squall line hovering just north of Mitchell.

I didn't expect anyone to arrive, but sure enough, as I entered the lot upon my return, Scott was unloading his bike. Rookie, I thought. No way a ride was going to happen. Then Miller pulled up. Jimmy called. Allen rolled in. John T. rolled in. Roy. Troy. My gosh, do these guys know something I don't?

We gathered our smartphones, and as soon as we could get a clear map open, it was obvious the ride wouldn't happen - at least not yet. Oh sure, a couple of the guys wanted to go anyway. They could go, I wasn't. The clouds were turning green as the cell intensified. That meant lightning and hail. No thanks.

I announced I was going to Wendy's to wait it out. The rest followed. We had a nice meal, a nice long chat afterward, but we did NOT have a ride. By the time we got to the restaurant the winds had picked up to over 30 mph hard out of the northwest, and hail soon followed. Oh, and there was the torrential downpour that went along with it. I can say in an unqualified fashion we made the right choice. It would have been far too dangerous to go out under those conditions.

So, we were thwarted this week. It happens! I think I will get on the bike after practice tomorrow and ride until I get sick of it. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous; might as well take advantage of it. Leisa has plans pretty much all over the day, so I won't have to drop anything to do it. And if I'm lucky I will get a long ride that will get me back on track for the week. Here's hoping anyway.

We did get one thing done tonight - we decided on a swim time for Thursday. BNL pool, 7 PM Thursday. All invited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment