Monday, June 3, 2013

Great Starts

First - I had 11 high school girls show up for practice today. Add to that one middle schooler and a fifth grader, AND one more girl who will almost certainly run, and we are off to a great start. The girls looked fit, healthy, and eager to get out and train. We had 4 girls go 5 miles and the rest went 3, and all of them are running faster than last year. Yup, I'm happy with that.

I was also happy to have the assistance of Jo Scott. Jo is a very experienced coach and a great addition to the dynamic. I hope she is a regular, because it presents us with a great many options. I'm hoping to see a few other ladies join us. Every adult is a bonus.

After the practice I hit the gym. I can't do a great deal right now because of my shoulder (which is slowly improving), but I can do the critical stuff necessary to help my swim. And it has. I didn't swim much at all over the winter, yet both my triathlon swims this year have been minutes faster than in the past. The only thing I can attribute it to is lifting.

Free snack! No need for Huck's!
After lunch, I got on the bike. I needed 50 miles today to make a minimum 100 miles for this vacation week. Allen wanted to do Lighthouse, which as we know is 31.9. Therefore, I needed to add nearly 20 miles. So I rode early, passed Lighthouse, and hit 60, reversed, then returned to Lighthouse. I hit it perfectly, because just as I got there Allen was pulling out of the lot (I suspected he might if he got ready early) and was going to head north to look for me. Obviously I was coming from the south, and he would never have considered looking that way.

We rode to Huck's, had a snack, then returned. On the way my front axle began to squall again. It was loud and obviously a problem. There wasn't much to do about it but ride. It stopped, but after a while every time I hit a bump it started again. I began to worry I might not make it home. After dropping Allen off at Lighthouse, I headed north. Now every time I took it over 22 mph, the squalling began. Then it was 20 mph. Then it was 18. The axle was clearly breaking down, and quickly.

I did get home, and immediately pulled the wheel off. I don't want to forget about it and climb on the bike again. I will (hopefully) be able to put in new bearings, but the wheels came with the bike way back in 2005. It may simply be the end of the line for them.

There was just enough time to get ready for the Jimmy 5 run, and I got there as his Royal Jimmyness was putting his stuff in his car. The run was easy, much more so than I could have expected. Altogether I wound up with over 5 hours of training. That's a big day after yesterday.

Right now I'm finishing laundry so I can pack. Tomorrow is San Francisco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment