Monday, April 14, 2014

It was easy, then it wasn't

With a day off yesterday, the start of today's run was very strong. I mean, I felt strength in my legs and push off I haven't felt in a LONG time. It might have been smarter to run easier, saving some for tomorrow, but there is another side to the coin; racing is coming, and I am woefully short of pace work in running. Pressing the heart rate a bit won't hurt a bit.

And so I wore my heart rate monitor tonight. Yup, going to have to do that more. Triathlon is about effort more than speed. Gotta stay in a sustainable effort, no matter the conditions.

So the miles ticked away, faster and faster, until I got back to the house in the first 5. Time was 34:34, a solid run for me. The break between runs was 15 minutes, far longer than I usually allow, and it would be trouble. I stiffen up so fast when I stop running, and 15 minutes was more than enough to cause some agony on the restart. Did it anyway. The right hip hurts? Too bad. Go with it anyway. It is what it is.

The second run was slower than my first, for which I was thankful. That is until we were by Southland Church of Christ, where Bartley diverged from the group in his usual GPS-obedient fashion, forcing me (and Miller and Bartlett) to follow. Since it is longer, we of course had to run a hard segment to get back to Jimmy and John T. Miller toyed with me, Bartley only less so, and they drug my sorry butt to the guys. That would be the last time I sprint off the pack.

Toward the end I started getting hungry. I hadn't had a snack in a while, and I was definitely beginning to lag. Hey, I'd lifted, then run almost an hour and ten by then. I'm a growing boy! The run did indeed end, and a great workout was in the books.

Now we come to the issue of tomorrow night and the group ride...

Look, I'm not in charge, though folks do ask me what we are going to do. All I can do is state my thoughts and plans. You guys are welcome to join me or not as you wish, though I always welcome the company. That disclaimer aside, here's my plan...

Tomorrow the forecast is for a high of 42, northwest winds of 10-15 mph. About the only thing that would make worse conditions for this ride would be rain. A month ago 42 would be a great temperature, but it's not so great anymore. I need 50 miles (at least), and this isn't going to happen tomorrow. So for me, the smarter way to go is to repeat last week and go with Wednesday instead. The high that day is 55 degrees AND the wind shifts to the southeast at 10-15 mph. What that means is pretty optimal conditions for time trialing. So your choices are cold pace line into a strong headwind OR a warmer ride coasting at high speed with a strong tail wind... let me think... this is a hard one...

The bonus here is I will add an additional swim tomorrow night. That's a tough deal to beat, folks.

The bonus/bonus is I am also taking my shoes on Wednesday for a short run after the ride. Yup, it's time to start bricking again, and no time like the present. Again, feel free to be a part of this or not.

Finally, for those that plan far out (I do) I am doing another century ride on Saturday. Allen is in too, and Jimmy (for a big hunk of it). Join us if you like! You don't have to do the whole thing, stay for whatever you need (or want), but if you want someone to share a ride, we likely have a wide target for you to hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment