Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sometimes the World is Against You

The last three weeks have been a challenge for training. It's the sickest I've been all winter, and I've been dragging. There hasn't been a dip in the quantity, which I suppose is the good thing, but the quality... that certainly hasn't been there. This has been mostly due to a lack of sleep - the hacking all night long gets in the way of a full night's rest. I'm a quasi-insomniac, so this in itself isn't too big of a problem... unless it is prolonged... as it's been...

Anyway, last night I broke down and took some cough medicine. I did sleep a bit better, felt better today, and was looking forward to 50-60 miles of riding. There'd be a short run after, Wendy's, and if all things worked out right, I'd even have my lift done before the ride.

Got home from work late, rushed to the gym, got the lift, arrived late to the church, did the abbreviated first ride (very windy conditions slowed me some), gathered Jimmy, got almost to 337 when ominous rain clouds gathered. We turned and headed for home, but were eventually caught by a light sprinkle. We did manage to get back before the steadier stuff started, which was a good thing. When I started my first ride it was 65 degrees and partly cloudy. By the time we finished it was 50 degrees, windy, and threatening rain. BIG difference!

I was now cold, uncomfortable, and running was out of the question. I think God was trying to tell me something! Time to rest, boy. Time to get better. If you don't hit xx numbers this week, it will be okay. Get better.

I think I will listen. If the opportunity comes to get some miles, I'll take it, but stressing about it? Nope. I have a pile of miles already this year, and this is as good a place as any to use some of that built-up collateral. One scenario says no ride until Saturday (100 miles), then ride Sunday as well (50 miles). That would give me 180 for the week, a pretty solid down week. The other scenario has me doing 40-50 miles tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, for well over 200 miles. I'm leaning more toward the former than the latter, though there are other ways to bring the numbers in line.

I think I'll wait and see how being out in the cool tonight impacts my rest. That will steer me for tomorrow at least. No matter what happens, I will host swimming at 8 tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment