Saturday, April 5, 2014

Scott's First Century

It may have been a cold start, but what a beautiful day! Jimmy, Scott, Allen, and I headed down south at 9 AM, still in the lower 40's and with a light north wind. That actually helped a bit because it gave us a tailwind, effectively minimizing the effects of low temperatures.

Jimmy couldn't go the whole way. He made it as far as Huck's before he turned back. With a noon meeting, he had time for under 3 hours riding. He kept hinting we could ride back with him, but for once I'm glad we didn't bite. Century rides are hard enough without retracing the same route over and over. I like Jimmy, but not that much!

We tried to follow the "Between the Spokes" course as much as the flooding allowed. Scott had scouted the night before and we used his gathered intelligence to steer us. We had only one place where we were blocked; other than that, the ride was clear sailing.

We had stops at 24, 55, and 75 miles. That worked about right. For my part I kept my pace down from the start, and so the whole affair was rather even in effort. I won't speak for the other guys...

Scott looked solid for his first Century. Sure, he was tired by the end, but who wouldn't be? Allen was tired too. That said, I never thought either guy wouldn't make it.

Tomorrow looks to be the better of the two weekend days. Good news for those of you who didn't get to ride today! We will ride again tomorrow from the Mitchell Church of Christ at 3 PM. I'm looking for around 40 miles, though depending on how I feel I might be compelled to ride more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment