Thursday, April 17, 2014

One Run and One BIG Ride to Go!

Kids take note on the title; intercapping is almost always a bad idea.

No matter how you slice it, last night was hard on me. Well, so was Tuesday. And Monday. The first half of the week was chock full of quality and quantity. It wasn't the optimal way to do things, it was the only way... with the rain early in the week, there wasn't any other way to work the rides in. We do what we have to do! The benefit (which also adds stress) was that the schedule enabled an extra swim. That's a lot of training in a short space!

Allen contacted me shortly before school let out wanting a ride. We quickly settled on meeting at the church as quickly as I could ride down. I would get more; he would drag me through the middle, and I would ride home alone in tears. It was a good plan except for the stiff breeze from the south. I had just enough time to make the rendezvous, Allen was ready, and we shoved right off.

We did a loop through Orleans, nothing special, and nothing really fast. That was good, because any time I tried to apply real pressure to my legs the lactic acid screamed at me. My legs were flat, pancake flat. After I left Allen I headed north, got on the highway, and tried to just keep a steady pressure in aero. To my surprise I did hold decent speed without pressing too hard. This made up partially the time I lost heading south. The overall average speed wasn't great, but it wasn't embarrassing either.

I picked up a sinus infection from the last few days' training, likely as not last night's cool ride, so I didn't know if I could swim. I was surprised when I got in and swam the fastest mile I've done all year! Goes to show you never know until you try.

Looks like it will be an 8 AM start on Saturday for the century ride. Parkview Track, I assume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment