Tuesday, December 2, 2014

First hard(ish) run of the new cycle

I alluded to the need to push the boys to go hard tonight... well, I was right. There we were, right at the starting mark for the tempo course, and the other three guys were ready to run right by it. Nu-uh. Jimmy and Allen, both of whom were there tonight, have been talking a lot about starting tempos on Tuesdays. It was Tuesday, they were both there, it was time to start.

Jimmy began to bargain. "Well, what do you think? 7:50 pace? WHAT?! Not in your dreams. I know for a fact he can go much faster. Now maybe he was thinking we would all run the same pace, but... when have we ever done that? We start together, but we run our paces. Same as it ever was.

Due to a snafu on my timing gear, I waited for a moment or so before chasing the others down. The plan was to only go one mile hardish. I had no intention of running 7:50, but I would have been happy with anything sub-7. Since it was the first time running at speed for a while, I set it for quick turnover without a push. To that end I was felt it went well. At the end of the mile it was 6:20, a good start.

Jimmy, though using the supposedly dependable running watch, lost his time. I would judge he and John were right around 40-45 seconds behind me, and Allen another 40-45 behind that. The rest of the run was easy, nothing spectacular.

Well. We've now kicked it off, haven't we?

The rest of the week looks like regular run tomorrow, 4:45 run Thursday, afternoon run Friday, and Saturday morning at Parkview. That looks to be 7 miles at this point. For me, that finishes the week, other than the odd spin here and there.

Hope everyone gets healthy enough to train soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment