Wednesday, June 4, 2014

...and in the end, the sun shines all the brighter...

This morning's cross practice had to be canceled; since Jimmy wasn't there, the luck was also absent, resulting in an ill-timed thunderstorm. It wasn't much, but it doesn't matter - rules are rules. I sent the girls home. The good news is it's only the first week of conditioning, so they won't lose much. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

I tried to run - no dice. I got about a quarter mile, which on the brighter side is 10 times farther than I got yesterday, but it was still nonetheless hopeless. It isn't joint pain at all, it's a building spasm. The first few steps are fine; beyond that, the tension in the leg builds until I feel something is about to pop. I waited until later in the day, hoping being on the legs more during the day may help the stretching, ergo help the running. Again, about a quarter mile in the tension built and I had to stop.

That's when I had an epiphany - I have a gym membership, and they have elliptical machines. Why not give that a shot? It's no impact, and while impact per se isn't really the problem, the constant pressure would prevent the tension issue. I haven't had any problems biking as there is no pressure/release pattern as severe as when I run, it's more constant pressure. That seems enough to keep anything from triggering.

Well, I'm happy to say it worked. I did a cautious half hour on the elliptical, working up a decent sweat. I'm not going to kid myself into believing it's an absolute substitute for running, because it isn't. It might be enough to sustain me until I can run, and that's what I need.

More good news came in the form of insurance. My company is going to cover the bike! My 2014 11-speed Kestrel 4000 Pro SL Ultegra is on its way, and with any luck I will be riding that early next week. That's great news, because the Cannondale is really rough on my hips over long distance. Up to 30 miles or so it's okay, but after that point it gets awfully hard on me.

There is a ride scheduled for tomorrow morning, Mitchell Church of Christ, 9:30 AM. All welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment