Sunday, June 1, 2014

Going Nuts

It's only been four days since the wreck, and I'm going nuts. It was unbelievably difficult to watch everyone ride off yesterday morning, and the sun shining outside has me seriously jonesing for a ride.

I got the Cannondale ready last night, tried to throw my leg over and shrieked like a little girl. I'd overlooked what a pull does to the body, and those groin ligaments are tender! Once on the bike it was no trouble at all. Getting on and off is another matter.

When I got up this morning I was really sore again. I even needed a crutch to get around, something I was hoping I was over. My plan had been to get up and ride, but that was washed away by caution. I think I could have toughed it out, but that would only delay the recovery process.

So I layed around for most of the day. About 4 o'clock I decided it was time to give it a shot, even if only a short ride. My plan was to stay in town. Even if I hadn't been hurt that would have been necessary - there was a line of storms just to the southwest. I could see the clouds gathering as I left the house. I headed down to Hillcrest and starting circling.

At 10 miles the rain started, so I wound my way home, finishing with 13 miles. It felt just fine. I don't think I can stand on the pedals with a great deal of pressure, but aero position is a snap, feeling about as normal as it can on my backup bike. With this in mind, I will be trying to ride a bit every day. Running is still out, so I will have to compensate with swimming and biking. With that, I should be able to keep my fitness up.

Girls' cross training starts tomorrow, and I can't run!

No comments:

Post a Comment