Monday, June 16, 2014

It's down to it

Though the weekend was great, and though my hip is getting better, the time has come to make a final decision about racing this summer. The fact is there isn't enough time to recover enough to go for either Ironman or Nationals. It's too much money at the wrong time, weighed against commitments of higher priority.

Instead I will look at picking up a couple more sprints, which should be attainable. Maybe I won't do very well, but they are cheaper and will help me sort out what I need to have a better season next year. I have a new bike to get tuned, running mileage to build, and I've always been a guy that likes to plan way out for racing. This would take a lot of the rush off the rest of the summer.

That said, my first target would probably be Eagle Creek. That's a month out, and with only a 3-mile run, I should be able to make that work. It also gives me a bit more time to get familiar with my new ride. I'm toying with going with the oval crank rings, which I'm sure would be another adjustment.

I am thankful despite missing some big events for the year. I am able to run with my team, which is my #1 priority at the moment. I am able to walk normally for the most part, and up to a point, I can run pretty normally. Yes, it will take a while before I am off medicine and can really stretch my runs out, but I can see it will happen in time. Overall I am very fortunate things worked out as well as they did.

We have our pace line ride tomorrow night, and I think the weather, though warm, will allow us to hold it as scheduled. The winds will not be favorable, but what difference does that make - we want to work hard, right? I plan to ride out in the 20-22 mph range, turn around, and come back a bit faster, God willing. Whether we pace line or time trial makes no difference to me, that's simply what I plan to do at this point.

Also thinking of swimming tomorrow morning at 10 AM. I would do that again on Thursday, unless I have to go to Bloomington. I am still sorting things out on my bike, and this looks like the likely date.

Jimmy is starting his longer runs on Wednesdays. I overheard tonight he's planning on 10 miles this week. Just giving you a heads up if you are interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment