Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Running, Swimming, and Dodging Storms

Thank goodness the weather broke a bit. It's still humid, the dew points are still high, but at least the combination isn't as brutal as last week. Or maybe it is, and we've gotten used to it. Either way, things seem easier.

The team did an Indian run today. I broke them into two groups, which worked well. Focus was strong throughout, and the effort was there. The mileage is a bit less than we were doing last year at this time, but you know what? If this keeps them from being hurt at the start of the season and we are able to do quality right away, we will deal with that. All I know is we can't continue doing the same thing year after year and expecting a different result.

It was a slow run for me. Who cares? I knew I'd wind up getting out again later. Anyway, I was moving back-and-forth between groups, so my pace went up and down the whole run despite the overall slow average. I guess I'm saying the numbers are deceiving.

After that, Galloway, Allen, and I went to BNL to swim. Allen did 2000 yards without stopping! That's a big deal, folks. Galloway also looked in good form. I did my mile, and that was that.

Storms were coming sooner or later today, and I knew if I was going to get a ride in it would have to be sooner. I decided to get my lunch in quickly and head right out to Mitchell. My plan was to do the regular Tuesday ride, only earlier, and alone. It was a good call. By the time I arrived in Mitchell, pop up storms were appearing on radar. I told Allen I had two hours at best to ride, and if nothing went wrong, that would be about the right amount of time.

Wind was mostly from the south, so the way out was a bit more challenging. I laid down in aero from the jump and ground it out. All the way to the county line I kept an even up-tempo pressure. This was definitely going to affect my time on the return, but there was no choice. This was the only way the ride could be completed.

A quick turn had me back on 337, going pretty well. The hoped-for tail wind really didn't come through. The air was pretty turbulent, and it seemed at times the wind came from all directions. This was no doubt due to the gathering storm clouds ahead of me, and as I got close the winds shifted to pretty much into my face. I wound up with better than 26 mph average, slow for me, but it was what it was.

Now I had to get north, because the storm was upon me. I opted to cut the course a bit and made for 37. If I could get there before the rain I had a chance to ride a tailwind back to Mitchell. This part of the plan did work pretty well. Before long I was rolling into Mitchell, packing up my bike, and just as I closed the car door the downpour started.

I decided to run again later. At first I thought that was a mistake, because when I stood to leave, my quads were blasted! I'd averaged something like 21.5 mph in the ride, and I think it took more out of me than I expected. No matter - once we started running it straightened out, and I thought nothing more about it.

I opened the pool for Jimmy, Rand, and Roy, then off to Wendy's for our Tuesday supper. It was a full day in spit of the weather. I'm sorry we missed the team ride, but there was nothing to be done for it. Maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment