Monday, June 9, 2014

Maybe it wasn't smart, but...

More than anything at the moment, I'm desperate to get my running back to where it was. It's not like I was doing high-level stuff, but it was improving, and with the possibility of Ironman looming, I can't realistically hope to enter if I can't run. I've heard there's this marathon thingy at the end of the Ironman race, so I guess I should be able to run at least a bit. I can't delay that decision forever, either.

I was able to run some the last couple of days, so this morning I set a goal of 2 miles running with the girls. I had a three new girls planning to show, so that would fit well into the plan. I would run 2 with the newbies and get a chance to see the whole team for at least a mile. It's always so much easier to get a feel for what kind of runners I have when I can actually see them run, assess their running forms, competitive levels, etc. You just don't get that from a car.

The run wasn't difficult at all, in fact I had to wait on one of the girls. I could feel some pain in the left groin, but it didn't intensify. At the end of the run I felt great. Sure, it ached a bit, though much less than in the last couple of days. There is hope after all, it seems.

Galloway and I were scheduled to swim today, and I had some time to kill. The best use of that time was to go ahead to the gym and get my lift done. Between upper body and core the time worked out perfectly, and as I finished it was time to go to the pool.

It would be great if I could tell you the swim was all easy and smooth. It wasn't. Swimming is like that. Some days everything clicks and it's easy, others it's not. I struggled in the middle of this workout to find my rhythm. I can't say why exactly, I only know it felt sluggish in the middle. In the final third or so things began to gel again, and I was back in the groove. The overall time reflected my difficulty, and though it wasn't a terrible time, it was slower than normal. This may be a reflection of my sudden increase in swimming, so for now there's no panic.

The next step was to try for another run in the afternoon. I set my sights on Jimmy's at 5:15, and three miles. If I could get those three miles, I would have five for the day, the most I've run since the wreck. That would be a victory, however slow the miles might be. With trepidation I walked (I usually run) to Jimmy's. I just couldn't bring myself to run there for fear I might hurt from the start, or if I started and stopped I would hurt. Better to go "all-or-nothing".

The early part took a little concentration to keep controlled, but before long I was holding my own. It was lucky for me the guys didn't get in a hurry, or they would certainly have left me behind. As it was I was able to hang in there for the first three, comfortably enough so that I pushed ahead for the final two miles. I don't think I could have run faster, but I did the whole thing. And, as of this writing, I feel just fine. Maybe, just maybe, the worst is over.

I will run with the girls again tomorrow. I don't know what will happen after that. We are scheduled to ride, but the weather forecast is ominous. I'm hoping to get a little something done. I'm also hoping my new bike comes in. I think only one of those things has a realistic chance of happening...

No comments:

Post a Comment