Monday, June 2, 2014

"Die Dachshund Lebt!"

Translated, the title means, "The Dachshund Lives!"

Allen contacted me by noon today wanting a ride. I was planning on going anyway, and since I had no hurry, there was no reason I couldn't wait for him. We agreed on 3 o'clock from the church, which was good because I figured our course would take us by the crash site. I needed to get the address for insurance purposes (more on that later), and if the opportunity presented itself, perhaps even a talk with the owner.

It was raining lightly as we left, but neither of us cared. At nearly 80 degrees and high humidity, the rain actually felt refreshing, and wasn't hard enough to cause serious risk of wrecking. The farther south we got, the lighter the rain, and before long it stopped altogether.

Our meandering course did indeed take us past the crash site. Allen and I had been talking about it, about the insurance and such, and our consensus opinion was I shouldn't talk to the owner directly - why risk a confrontation? I was however determined to get the address.

I stopped at the house, pulled my camera, and snapped some photos of the mailbox with the address number. A little girl was standing there, and I thought, "Why not?". "Can you go get your mother?" I asked. In she ran, retrieved her mother (her whole family, in fact), and it was game on. I was either on the right track or a complete fool.

I asked about the dog, which I'm sorry to say is alive and well. It's actually a mixed breed, combining boxer and dachshund. It was quite a bit larger and beefier than a normal dachshund, which is likely why it survived. I told them I was the guy who hit the dog, and I wanted to touch base. I told them about the emergency room trip, the broken bike, and that I reported it to my insurance company. I gave fair warning my insurance company would likely come after theirs, and asked if she had homeowner's. "We're renting" was her reply. Uh-oh. The owner probably does, and I'm not sure how that's going to work out, but it sounds like a fight coming.

After that, I caught up with Allen (he'd pulled up the road a bit to avoid being collateral damage) and we headed for the church. We luckily avoided most of the approaching rain and finished a very nice ride. My leg felt fine the whole way, and though I miss my Kestrel, the Cannondale performed adequately.

Speaking of bikes...

I spec'd out a 2014 Kestrel 4000 SL today, which is the Ultegra version. For wheels it will have Zipp 60's (instead of Mavic Cosmos) and I'm rolling the dice and going with the Rotor Q rings for the crank. It's a very similar setup to the one I had, and though pricey, it's fair.

There is only thing I don't like; the color scheme. Check it out:


Not in love with that at all, but it'll be worth it, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. With some carbon wheels it would be really sharp. Now you just need and orange and white kit to go with the trim. Sorry about the dog, been there done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like orange, I just don't have anything in that color.

    We have a lot in common it seems (read your blog). Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete