Thursday, June 28, 2012

Can you believe the heat?

It was crazy hot out there today. Crazier still, when the girls practiced this morning, I was cold enough to don a sweatshirt.

I didn't do a whole lot of anything until 4:30. That's when Strunk and I were supposed to ride from Lighthouse. I thought he might change his mind - after all, it was the hottest day in 25 years. He showed. He really showed!

We took it sooo easy, and we had to. If the temperature outside was 106, then the road temperature was 10 above that. I actually had a reading of 118 on my computer while we were riding, by far the highest I've ever seen.

We made it to Huck's and stopped to enjoy a cold drink and a snack. After that, we cruised back. I immediately headed to the pool, where I met Galloway for a swim. And that was that.

I did do one other thing today - I went to see "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" with Leisa. The breakdown is simple - great casting, acting, and to some extent, even a great take on historical events, much in the vein of "Forrest Gump". The action scenes were entertaining and visually stunning. But there it is, the crux of the problem: no matter how you get to the point, however masterful the delivery, no matter the suspension of disbelief to this point, you ultimately are jarred by one salient point... that's Abraham Lincoln killing vampires.

I had laugh-out-loud moments during very fluid fight scenes because my suspension of disbelief lost its balance and plunged over the cliff of rational thought. Abraham Lincoln. Abraham-fricken'-Lincoln. Fighting vampires. Abraham Lincoln, kicking butt and taking names. Abraham Lincoln, martial artist. Abraham Lincoln, MMA superstar. See what I mean?

Rating? I'll have to give this one the brand-spanking-new "Thirty-two Teeth Award", so-named because the absurdity of the premise at times sent me into a full-throated, howling laughter, thereby exposing every tooth in my mouth. It was unintentionally hilarious.

Ride Data.

Swim Data.

No comments:

Post a Comment