Monday, June 18, 2012

Is it August already?

You'd think so. It's bone-dry outside, parched grass dying in the blazing sun, and temperatures are already in the mid-90's on a regular basis. Toss on a little humidity, and voila! August.

I ran with the girls this morning, not fast, but it had its fast patches in it. I was moving back-and-forth between different groups of girls, so I had my pickups here and there. It was five miles, nothing tough.

After that, there was a whole lot of nothing. Not. A. Thing. I was tired. Yesterday's swim was cancelled, and it being Fathers' Day, I thought I'd skip the ride. Miller's text changed that. He wanted a ride, and though I was tired, I figured it would be better to get it yesterday than today. So I agreed to go.

We left from my house. I hadn't asked how far he wanted, but felt sure he'd want at least 40. Two-thirds there on my answer, because he wanted 60. I didn't think I had that in me, and even if I had, I didn't have the time. Family commitments would have prevented me from making it all the way.

We gave it a shot anyway. We hit the aerobars and stayed down the entire ride. We were 18.1 mph average in a headwind all the way south to Huck's. After leaving there, things picked up considerably. The stretch on Highway 37 in particular did much to bring up the average. By the end I had 19 mph average on a day I was pretty tired. Good enough.

Back to today... the park pool has been really unorganized lately, so I exercised the option of possessing a key to a more... private... facility. That's right, the BNL pool isn't being used for anything right now, I'm a coach, so what could be more natural? Bonus - I can go when I want and stay as long as I want.

I sent out a call to see if anyone wanted in, but only two bit. John T. and Allen joined me, and we all had a couple lanes to ourselves.

These guys are both improving. John T. wanted some pointers, but to be honest, there isn't much need. He'll have no trouble at all with open water swimming, so long as he doesn't panic.

Allen is also greatly improved. There were moments tonight he actually looked pretty smooth.

Weights after the swim, and the day was done.

Tomorrow's ride... right now, time trial is scheduled. The wind direction will have a lot to do with what we ultimately choose, because right now it's going to be rather windy. Will it be more west or south I don't know. If it's more southerly, I say go for the TT. If west, we'd better consider pace line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment