Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The routine is coming back, somewhat

So now school has gone on for a little over a week, and the routine is settling in. It's like last year, but different. Coaching certainly rearranges my afternoons, but that's fine; I love doing it. It has curtailed my training, which has rearranged my midsection. Sure, you folks have politely avoided mentioning it directly, but your wide-eyed stares at my belly haven't gone unnoticed. I'd be gawking, too. I must look like a two-legged Jell-O mold running down the road.

Kathy dropped some times from last year's races over, and I've been pouring over them. Interesting stuff. I broke it down for the girls here, if you are interested. I'm happy to say we're doing better than I thought, given what's been going on.

The five miles this afternoon didn't feel difficult, though I think I was wearing an old pair of shoes. I honestly can't tell. I buy the same kind all the time, and since they all look alike, it's easy to mix them up. I've so many miles on all of them I don't think it really matters much.

As for the run, we broke 40 minutes without any effort. That's okay by this fat boy's standards. Dan nearly broke his body.

Tim and Bill
Ran down the hill
To see which one could go faster

Kathy broke out
Without a shout
And Dan came tumbling after

We finished the run, Dan having fallen off the back, which often happens. This is the first time in a while I didn't drop off and finish with him, and man, I wish I had. Apparently near the end he tumbled on the sidewalk and busted himself up. He was dripping blood as he finished. He's okay, those Nordic types are a stoic breed, but I felt bad for leaving him. That dang fraternization clause we have in our contracts sure hinders safety...

No comments:

Post a Comment