Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A load of splinters

Used to be I knew where I stood in the world. I had the same friends, ran with them every day, and eventually our routines became so intertwined it was difficult to tell one from another.

Then came Strunk.

And Allen.

And Galloway.

And a whole host of other rebels who find ways to fracture and fragment our happy collection of athletes into ever smaller and more diverse clusters of exercise opportunity. Ah! Vive la difference!

Allen, Strunk, and I ran only 5 tonight, but it was much earlier than the regular Parkview Pack (tm). It was out of necessity I betrayed the stalwart regulars - Erin had a swim meet tonight. It was either early or not at all, and being the strictly mercenary athlete that I am, I went for it.

We had a rolling discussion of various topics. I was shy about my opinions of course, but with a little coaxing, Allen and Strunk were able to coerce me to share my views. It was cathartic to say the least.

Basically it eventually boiled down to whether or not there is more or less evil in the world than before. We also talked about the Mayan foolishness coming to an end. My standby remark is the religious should know better because "only the Father knows the time and the day". The very fact everyone is pointing to Friday is reason enough to know it isn't Friday.

"Maybe he'll come Thursday", says Strunk.

Damn. I wish I'd thought of that one.

Hey! I composed some free-form poetry today for my students. Wanna hear (er, read) it? Here goes!

*Ahem*

Axe Wearers
Oh, wearers of axe,
Offenders of olfactory senses,
How your frustration must wax,
No girls break down your fences.

You laid it on thick,
A green cloud about your head,
Yet no chasing mob of chicks,
Like zombies in "Walking Dead".

So here's great advice,
Don't do as you did before.
If it isn't "Old Spice",
I say, "Less is more".

No comments:

Post a Comment