Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Snapshots

Part Six in the Tribute to Norm Series

Snapshots
There are so many other Norm stories to share...

How about the time he and I were running down the road, and I spotted an angry parent of one of my students. We made eye contact, she looked at her husband, then pulled that wheel, hard, in our direction. Yeah, she was that crazy! Norm was looking the other way, but I shoved him hard, and the car narrowly missed us both. This is not an exaggeration in any way - that lady was trying to kill us (me in particular). Still, Norm owed me his life that day.

There was the time Jimmy, Norm, and a few others ran the Tuscon Marathon. Norm flew into the Phoenix airport, but had been deathly ill. They wheeled him out of the airport in a wheelchair, and all the others wrote him off for the marathon the next day. Wrong. Norm ran it anyway.

When Glenn Robinson played for Purdue, I thought I'd never here the end of the "Big Dog" talk. I was never so glad they were put out of the tournament short of a Purdue NCAA championship. Norm was hardly bearable anyway... how it would have gone otherwise is difficult to put into words.

Norm infamously stayed at the track during the tornado warning in the overnight hours of the Relay for Life one year. That is a team player! I would have been long gone.

I could go on and on. Norm was one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable, and he will be sorely missed.

Tomorrow: Closure

No comments:

Post a Comment