Monday, December 3, 2012

Part Five: 19th Century Trekkie


Part Five in the Tribute to Norm Series

19th Century Trekkie
I can't remember the day I first saw Norm in his reenactor uniform, but I do remember the impression: it's not Halloween, so why are you dressed up? I thought it was a joke. Then I found out about the dancing. Incredible! Was this guy trying to make it easy for me to tease him?

The rabbit hole went deeper and deeper. Turns out Steve Duffy was into it too, and, to my surprise, there were whole groups of rabid reenactors who enjoyed ballroom dancing. Pinch me, someone. I must be dreaming!

But it was no joke. Once I figured this out, that he really took it seriously, I didn't have the heart to tease. I'm sure he would have taken it, probably even expected it, but I just... couldn't. It was clear he loved it. Everyone has odd tastes I suppose, I have mine, so why deprive Norm his?

His appetite for the role playing developed, grew, and culminated in his bit part in the movie "Gods and Generals". This must have been the highlight of his reenactor journey - rumor has it he was on hand for every showing of the movie in the Bedford theater, and I always imagined him sitting in the front row, dressed in his Confederate greys. That may or may not have been true, but it sure sounded about right. This was the only point I grew slightly concerned, like maybe he'd found a new calling.

The whole thing had the feel of a diehard Trekkie. You know, those guys that dress up like Klingons, learn the imaginary language, then collect in large cities where no woman is located within 10 city blocks? I'd never really thought much about reenactors, but they are rather cultish, like 19th Century Trekkies.

Norm brought it back to center when he started the History Festival with NLCS. Using the reenacting to teach kids made it all make sense, gave it a purpose, and the kids always enjoyed it.

Anyway, it was always better to see Norm in grey than in black and gold... ;)

Tomorrow: Snapshots


Here is one of the snapshots taken today at the Norm run.We had around 100 people show up to support Annette and family, and a little bit of money was raised to start a scholarship fund. The weather couldn't have been better, and though the dress scheme was a poor choice for the failing light, everyone completed the event without incident.

I would be remiss if I didn't relate how the run started with an honorary lap around the track, which your author race-walked in memory of Norm...


No comments:

Post a Comment