Thursday, January 17, 2013

Alone again, naturally

Took a little run today,
No one else would come and play,
I really tried to get 'em outside,
But as to why they wouldn't say.

As I headed down the road,
By myself I bore the load,
Though I had a plan, there was no demand,
Their support I couldn't goad,
Leaving me to run, with my thoughts so slowly turning,
My muscles growing old, and the legs so quickly burning,
In spite of encouragement from me,
The pain, it kept returning,
And when the run was done,
I couldn't call it fun,
Alone again, naturally.
Alone again, naturally.

(nod to Gilbert O'Sullivan)

It's Thursday. No Jimmy means "no most of the rest of the crew". I say most, because usually one can find a run with Strunk, Allen, or Galloway (or all three). No such luck today. Despite it being beautifully clear and warmer, Galloway ran this morning, Strunk made up a fake doctor's appointment, and Allen just gave me a flat "no".

I went anyway. Five miles of Washington Avenue alone. My motivation? Besides my gut? Galloway.

Tim told me about a run he did recently, essentially my regular 5 from home, but he posted a 34:20 for 5 miles. That's a darn good run. Could I get anywhere close to it?

I started out on the run, not really thinking about it at first. About halfway through the first mile I remembered what he said. That's when I woke up and started pressing a bit harder.

It wasn't a hard run, not all that fast, but man was I sore. Really sore. The Tuesday run had finally borne fruit, and my legs were aching. I didn't care. As long as there was no cramping, everything was cool. I hit 2.5 at 17:40, which would be 35:20 for 5. This wasn't working. I'd have to run harder.

I pressed harder, only now there was a stiff north wind in my face. I didn't care. I kept pushing. In the end it was 34:52, a nice negative split for the way back. Galloway beat me, but at least he got me to work harder. I'll get him next time!

I lifted after that. I really pounded myself, enough I got really sore before I left for the swim. I was so sore I decided not to swim. Not that I need a lot of prodding that direction, but I really am hurting. I'm thinking I overshot it a bit on the lift, and I'll have to be careful with that in the future. I'm an endurance athlete, not a power lifter.

Spin tomorrow, 12-mile run Saturday morning, 8 AM Parkview.

No comments:

Post a Comment