Sunday, January 6, 2013

Getting a head start

This is promising to be one busy week. With three swim meets, a workshop, and a full week of starting the second semester, there will be little extra time to get in some training.

I was mulling the week over this morning while I was getting a few extra miles (before the regular group met). It occurred to me that by riding longer today and getting the lift a day early I might make things easier for the rest of the week. I was already getting a few extra miles running - why not?

The run wasn't too bad until the end, when the hips said "enough is enough". That was at 8 miles. I'd hoped for 10, but hey, I ran 10 yesterday. I'm not really very good on doubling that distance right now. Maybe down the road, but not right now.

Later, after church and lunch, I got on the bike. Thank the good Lord for Netflix! I started watching the Colts game, but it didn't take long to be discouraged by the proceedings... Luck was being, well, Luck. Don't get me wrong, I think the Colts did a great job this year, but the one thing they couldn't afford was Luck to throw picks, which of course he did.

Anyway, I scanned the new January list of movies, and lo and behold, "The Warriors" was available. The Warriors! It took me back to the summer of '79, those warm summer days, sneaking into the old Bedford Drive-In, laying out front on a blanket in the grass. I can still remember being gripped by the action of that cutting edge "B" movie. Low production values? Sure. But its style would influence a whole slew of movies to follow ("Escape from New York", "Streets of Fire", "The Terminator", etc).

I dug in. The timing was perfect. I wanted a 30-mile ride, and Joe Walsh's "In the City" struck its last chords as my ride ended. (clink-clink-clink, "War-YURS, come out to PlaY-YAY!")

There was no time to rest. I knew if I sat down, even for five minutes, I was finished. With this in mind, I headed out the door to lift. This went surprisingly well given I'd worked out for nearly three hours already. The whole thing was over before I knew it, and I was out the door.

Now I have a little breathing room. I need only one more ride of at least 20 miles, better 30. I can run 8 miles tomorrow after school and head to the meet. The rest of the week should be more-or-less manageable until Saturday. That's swim conference, and there is nothing that will save it. So, Saturday is off for training.

Allen is talking ride on Thursday. I'm not against the idea, but the roads has best clear up.

No comments:

Post a Comment