Monday, January 14, 2013

Finally went and got sick

All the warning signs were there, I just hadn't put it all together. Friday morning it hit me - I really was sick. The headache, muscle pain, rumbling stomach... yup, it was time to go home. I wouldn't make it through the day.

Luck for me there was a sub available. Within the hour someone was there, and I was able to leave. I had plans made (always have an emergency set ready), so it was a quick transition.

I went home and laid right down. Of course it was beautiful out. It promised to be spring-like, sunny and warm, and my planned afternoon ride was still on my mind. But only for a while. After lying in a chair for a couple of hours, my second epiphany hit - I couldn't exercise at all.

The 24-hour fever rule was in effect. No one should exercise until they have been fever-free for 24 hours. That's a hard rule for me, inviolable in fact. No workout is worth the permanent injury you risk by breaking this rule. However slight the risk might be, it does indeed exist.

Saturday didn't go much better. The headache persisted (which meant the fever did too), but passed by early morning. The muscle aches lessened and disappeared, but overall I was still weak. I hadn't intended to work out Saturday after Friday's fever. What was still in question was Sunday.

I awoke feeling pretty good, not 100%, but greatly improved. There seemed to be no real reason not to try a short run, so I met the group. We went 5 miles, and it felt pretty darn good. I actually felt... rested.

After the run was the lift. Here is where I really felt the weakest. My strength was not all back, no surprise. It wasn't a great lift as a result, but it was a lift.

Finally, there was the ride. I cut the afternoon ride to 20 miles, which went pretty smoothly. All I can say is Netflix makes this pretty easy to do!

So we come to today. I've felt pretty darn good all day, and ran equally well. Five miles might be cautious, but I want to be cautious. What reason do I have to push it? Tomorrow we run tempos, so it seems ill-advised to try to come back to top speed until then. Even at that, I will likely take the whole week to ease back into it. I'll either make miles or I won't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment