Thursday, January 3, 2013

Gotta get back in the habit

I am a creature of habit, and I am slavish to those habits. However, if ever a habit is broken, it's broken. It's so difficult for me to restart those habits, no matter how long I might have found myself engaged in those activities.

Cross-country broke the spell, and since then I've found it difficult to take the time every day to put down my thoughts. I still like to do it, it just seems so hard to break away from anything I'm doing to do it.

The usual grist for my daily mill is exercise, though I am hardly constrained to that topic by any binding restrictions. Training for me isn't what it used to be, and that probably has a lot to do with me not having much to share. Oh, there are other topics I could discuss, but let's face it - another political or social issue blog is not really necessary nor wanted by my readership. Best to leave that off public channels (except for the occasional outburst of righteous indignation).

Turns out the Mayans were wrong. Huh. Who saw that coming? Certainly not the Mayans. Nostradamus was wrong too. Wow. Or maybe we don't know how to read Mayan. Or interpret Nostradamus. Dang. I thought we were out of the woods. Now the Nostradamus Channel (formerly known as the "Discovery Channel") can take one step to the side and continue 24/7 with their doomsday programming. Whew! I thought I'd have to find a new station.

The holidays are over. I'm glad. When you're young and pure, Christmas is magical. As you get older, the cuts and scrapes you get in life don't heal, and often the family gatherings just peel off the scabs. More and more I think it's something I could do without. Bah, humbug!

The great things that came out of the holidays:

  • We held two events that raised money for cancer and the Boys and Girls Club of Bedford. 
  • We held our annual Bub's Pilgrimage, this year attempting to eat both the Big Ugly and the Giant Dog. Our "Patties N Pups" challenge netted 5 contestants and 4 finishers. Sorry Jake, maybe next year!
  • Despite the ample snowfall, training did resume. Running miles were a bit lower than I wanted, but no harm came from running in the somewhat messy conditions. 
  • There was time to rest and relax with my wife and daughters. 
Back to the training... I am currently targeting 40 mpw running, 60 mpw riding, and at least one swim. I did manage to get most of that in over break, snowfall limiting the run somewhat. Lifting is going okay, though a lingering arthritis/tendinitis problem in my elbow is making me rethink my lifting routine. 

Finally, the family discovered Netflix over break. Daughter Erin is Breaking Bad over it, and if she doesn't stop watching, she will soon be the Walking Dead. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment