Monday, August 5, 2013

Calm before the storm

There is a whole lot going on this week.

I start work on Wednesday. That's a teacher-only day, but it will be full. There are a million things that will have to be done, and though it sounds like I could have taken care of them beforehand, it doesn't always follow. I've been in my room for three weeks now - some things cannot be done until the last minute. I'm as ready as I can be at the moment.

Cross-country officially started today. The girls had a great summer of training, very consistent with their time and effort, and we're looking for the big payoff at season's end. Three weeks from today is the first meet!

Oh, and there's that Nationals thing at the end of the week.

Jimmy, Rand, and I will be leaving town Thursday afternoon for Milwaukee, WI. It's about a 6-hour drive, so we'll get in late. That should be fine. We'll have to check our gear Friday afternoon, then there are the orientation meetings, expo, etc. That will be a busy day. Race day will take care of itself.

If that sounds a bit blase, it's not my intent. The truth is I need to be steady with my effort, let the race come to me instead of forcing anything. I'm swimming better than I have in years, my biking has never been better, and my running is slow... it should still be good enough to do very well even if I have an average day. That's what I'm counting on. If I'm lucky and have a great day...

When I dwell on it too much I start getting excited, so I've tried to occupy myself with other thoughts and activities. It's too soon to get ramped up like that. On the starting line, if I want to feel some adrenaline, that's fine. Still, I don't want to lose the ability to think my way through it.

Steady effort. Steady effort. Steady effort...

No comments:

Post a Comment