Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How bad was it?

If you look at the sidebar on the right, you'll see the Strava links to our club riders. Almost all of them have some reference to the weather in their ride titles. That should tell you something.

It was hot. 78 degree dew points are deadly serious. I took it easy on my girls' team tonight - wish I'd given myself the same break. I've been suffering from a summer cold the last few days, and today was the worst I've felt yet.

We had another fairly good sized turnout. Rand, Greg, Scott, John T., Troy, Miller, James, Galloway, and eventually Allen joined me on this unusual late-summer ride.

The weird started right away. Rand and Greg started pulling us south at around 20 mph. It's not unusual for Greg to push a bit, but Rand on the front pushing on the way out? Weird. Found out later they were chasing John T., who was behind them.

The tone was set, and so when we got to 337 I invited anyone who wanted to be pulled to the county line to get on. John T. asked if I was going to pull 9 miles, but I'd already had in mind to do so. We had a bit of a tailwind out, so though the speed seemed a bit fast for the opening leg, in truth it was fairly easy to do. I say fairly easy, because though I never taxed my VO2, I sweat profusely. By the time we hit the pee tree, I could tell I needed a little help.

Rand gave me one of his Enduralytes, and I hoped that would be enough. He also offered to take the first pull, which I was determined to NOT take since I had just pulled 9 miles. He did a great job, to the point he began to gap the pack. Greg moved around to help Scott get back to Rand, but after a while Scott pulled out. He was worried he was holding us back. I get that, no one likes to feel they are hurting the ride, but he needn't have worried. We could have crossed the gap at any time, and in fact did.

Greg took us right on around Rand, and I knew things were about to get a lot harder. We didn't go very fast, but the truth was my legs were killing me. Tons of lactic acid poured through them. There was no stress on my lungs, but my legs were stretching to their limit. Maybe it was the heat, the summer cold, the weights I've been lifting, maybe all of the above, but I wasn't having all that easy a time with it. It wouldn't have taken much to drop me at that point.

We traded off about every 2 minutes - I think everyone had a touch of that cold - and it was Troy's misfortune to get Lost River Bridge (no sympathy here; I think I've had it more than anyone else this summer!) He did a fine job climbing up, but made the rookie mistake of tapping right at the top. This is a sure way to get yourself dropped, because the guy behind you is fresh and ready to go.

Allen had made his way to us by then. He'd driven a bus for the Mitchell middle school runners, and was late. He attached in the bottoms, and from what I understand held with us for a long time.

The sprint came after a Miller final hill climb. Troy was on the front again, we hit the split hill, and Greg popped around. I tried get on, and for once was able to attach. He was sitting on Troy, waiting for just the right time to blast around. Troy pedaled valiantly, but the conclusion was already foregone. I tried to move to Greg's left to make an earlier try, but just then he looked back and left. I knew I couldn't outkick him, and I didn't want to block him in, so I pulled back right. I was smart enough to look to my rear right, and I'm glad I did - Heatherly was right there! I got out of his way and he chased. I think had I not blocked him he might have made a game of it with Greg. We'll never know. Sorry about that.

We tried to go to Wendy's afterward, but their register was broken, and their manager made no attempt to appease a long line of customers by offering free drinks (which cost a restaurant practically nothing). That line of riders instantly cut out and went to Arby's, where they had a fine meal and discussion. It certainly wasn't a bad alternative - the cashier even brought our food out to us!

We are coming to it now, the final rides of the season. I don't know how much longer I can go. Once interval workouts start, it's over for me. They take too long to make the start of the ride. That will start this week, though the regular day won't resume for a couple of weeks (meets interrupt regular schedule). My guess is next week will be the last one for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment