Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Surprise Pace Line Ride

I never expected to make it on time for the ride tonight, but I did. What's more, 10 of us made it for an unusual ride. How was it unusual? Read on...

In mid-August it isn't usual to see a powerful cold front sweep through without bringing with it powerful thunderstorms, but that's exactly what we had tonight. A strong northerly breeze meant the usual pace line or TT options were going to be excessively difficult. We all understood the conditions were and were prepared to knuckle down and do it - we're men, after all - but we hadn't reckoned with the evil machinations of one Allen Burris.

Allen had created a segment for just this purpose. Taking the lion's share of the regular course and reversing it, he created a segment he believed would be prime for the current weather conditions. His idea was we'd go hard on the way out and cruise back. Would the guys bite?

Good question. John T., Miller, Rand, and I had raced over the weekend. Greg is racing this weekend. Lester ran his first 22-miler yesterday. Many of those left were completely indifferent. Despite this, it wasn't that hard a sell. As for myself, I didn't think I'd have a lot of gas for it, especially after my legs hurt so much at the start of the ride. But in the end, what was there to lose?

It was an odd collection at the start. The first few guys trickled out, promising to be going easy. Thirty seconds was all we allowed between riders, so the intervals passed quickly. A few of the guys started talking about riding together, and in the end Greg, John T., Miller, Scott, and Troy went off in a pack. I went last.

This was a tall order. I am not fully recovered from the race yet - far from it. Yet some of these guys raced too, and on top of that, Greg didn't want to go too hard. I might catch them if they stuck to it, but if they got caught up in the moment, catching them might well be out of the question. They are all great riders, and they would grind me to a nub if they tried hard enough.

Out of the gate it proved tough. On the downhills and flats things went exactly as I thought they would - I could draw for a bit, but then a guy would tap and a fresh horse would push it out again. I was pretty steady, so as the horse tired, I drew it in. Then BAM! Fresh horse. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Going east out of the bottoms I decided I might be able to make a bunch on the big hill. If I could carry enough smash into it I might be able to steal some time from guys who were tired and taking a rest. What did I have to lose? So I hit that hill hard, and did indeed close a great deal. At this point I actually thought I had made the catch.

It didn't happen. Fresh horse, the lead stretched out again. I could keep it contained, but could never quite close. When Troy popped in the final straightaway, I knew it was hopeless to catch them. Three of the best time trialists in our club working together against me? Yes, against me. I saw them spot me a little earlier, and I know what I would have thought if I were them - no way you are catching us!

My next option was to contain. I wanted to keep the lead under 30 seconds. Why? KOM. Miller was the current KOM of the segment, and I wanted a crack at it. If I could keep the gap close, I could still steal the crown. That plan worked. I finished 18 seconds after they did. That was good, but would it be enough? It would depend on how quickly they got themselves organized going up the first hill to the start versus how fast I did it. That's a lot of variables, but as I told them on the cool-down, I bet there wasn't a butt hair between all our times.

I was right.

Miller and Greg were tied for KOM for a while tonight. They did the course in 19:44, worth 26.4 mph. That's pretty dang fast! When I saw that, I wasn't so confident I would get it. Then I uploaded my data. Results? 19:42, good for 26.5 mph - and KOM! By the slimmest of margins I came out on top.

On the way back we did a slower pace line with all 11 of us (DfO "joined" us), intending by agreement to ride 19-20 mph. I volunteered to lead all the way back if need be, Allen wanted to take the first pull, so as we started, Allen moved to the front. Then, inexplicably, DfO, ever on his own program, pulled way out ahead of the line and rode. I have no idea what he was doing... what am I saying, I never do... but as my turn came up and we inevitably drew up, I didn't know what to do. Was he trying to lead? Was he trying to escape? Should I try to lead the line past him? Should I slow the group down to his pace? You just never know with him.

I tested the waters and moved slightly to his left. At once he pointed to his left, which I took to mean he was pulling out. He did, and I took over. I was nice, stayed right with the plan, and when John T. suggested I should share, I pulled out. Most of the guys got a turn, until Miller took over west of Bromer. From that point on it was all Miller. He did a great job into the wind - he's getting a lot stronger every ride.

Near the end I considered what I would do. I'm not a great sprinter, a worse sprinter into the wind, and an even worse sprinter coming off a peak race and into the wind. I turned back to John T. and Greg, both behind me, and yelled, "I'm not sprinting!" I yelled they'd better go soon if they intended to beat Miller. We were on the very back of the long line, and there was easily 20-30 yards to cover just to get to Miller.

They couldn't hear me. I started to yell again, then I felt bad about begging off. I had nothing to lose to try. "Dangit, I'll be your lead-out!" I shouted to John T., and bolted off. Up the left side of the line, face after face revealed no appetite to follow. Miller would be the one. I knew he'd go. He always does, right?

Over 30 mph into a headwind, we were moving smartly down the road. DfO and Miller were ahead. I really, really didn't want an erratic rider on board, so I kept it going as hard as I could when passing. There was no hope of keeping Miller off if he wanted on. Not so much DfO.

I kept listening. I can always hear John T. and Miller. John T. sounds like a car coming up behind you. Miller is more like "whzz-whzz-WHZZ" and by you he goes. Neither happened. I hit the line, looked back, and both guys were there. They gave me a freebie!

Fun ride guys. I didn't expect to make it, but I'm sure glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment