Tuesday, August 6, 2013

We miss you, Sir Jimmy!

How can you beat that?
It was really sad not to have Jimmy along tonight. Our hearts certainly go out to you - it's tough to be hurt like this, especially on the eve of a goal race. We missed you!

It was the Alpha and Omega of rides - it was the first night we all rode with our ACC jerseys, and it was likely the last night this summer we'll ride as a group.

It was an oddball one from my perspective. My goal was to ride steady without pushing at all, resulting in a rather different perspective from the start. I wound up on the back end of the ride and stayed there all the way out, something I don't ordinarily do. I watched as the riders strung out, a small group of Heatherly, Miller, and Troy chasing a far-off Greg, the rest in single file. Ten riders in all were out there on 337. Briefly we thought there'd be eleven... Strunk rode by on the start, but once again Strunk'd us by taking off without warning. I never even got to talk to him!

Anyway, Allen, Rand, and I wound up riding slowly to the start. By the time we hit the final straight I could see the others were already off the road ahead. I half figured they would start their ride without us - which would have been fine with me. I was sorry we were holding them up, but I wasn't going to work any harder.

The wind had been slight but out of the southwest, meaning there was an opportunity for speed. It was a good night to time trial, and I encouraged the guys to try if they felt up to it. A few did, and were rewarded with season PR's (Miller, Greg, Galloway, Heatherly, Bartley, and Troy). Considering 6 out of 11 riders (DfO attached at the county line) had their best rides, and 4 were making no attempt at a hard ride, I'd say it was a good call.

For my part, I declared 22 mph the goal, but it was too easy. Way too easy. We wound up averaging 23.1, but it was a chore to hold it there. I really don't even feel like I've ridden, that's how easy it was.

Miller, Bartley, Roy, Rand, and I ran after. I wanted one more brick transition under my belt before the race Saturday. It was easy. Though it was a bit muggy out, the run itself was no problem at all. I did see Bartley engage in a bit of chicanery toward the end - anything for a win - but with very little prodding I managed to coerce Miller into out-sprinting him at the line. Of course it almost cost him his life... the run ends at an intersection, one which Miller carried into the street directly into the path of a vehicle he didn't see coming because he was happy dancing KJ style. That's my version anyway. I was kind of far away, so he might differ in opinion.

Run tomorrow, then rest for the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment