Thursday, August 1, 2013

It's so hard to taper

Easier said than done. It's a trite expression, almost devalued by its overuse, but it is absolutely true about taper. It's not like the basic elements are difficult to grasp. Rest. Recover. Do light work. Do light speed drills, but nothing too taxing. Sleep as you normally would. Eat normal meals. Cut miles way back.

Got it. Easy. Except it isn't easy.

If you have a big base, you begin to feel ready to go. Really ready, as in, "Bring on the race!" ready. As it is, there is another week and a half of laying around until the event. It's going to be a nerve-wracking wait.

Today there was a north wind that begged for an attempt on the Amish Super 2 KOM. I even tried to get Allen to bite - and secretly I told myself if he didn't go, I couldn't either - but he refused. I took that as a sign and returned to my pacing about the house.

It was a long day. Practice was over, the bike dropped off at the doctor, nothing to do at work, all loose ends taken care of... now just time to kill. Dang. Rest is hard when you feel ready for action.

We did swim tonight - Allen, Galloway, and myself. My distance was a well-kept secret from myself until I started. The Bills warred within me for control, the smart and the testosterone-poisoned ones, and ultimately I think testosterone won (as usual). I felt great, got into a rhythm, and pulled a mile in under 25 minutes. I feel really good about my swim now, as the last two or three weeks have been really strong.

We are riding in the morning from Parkview, 9 AM for those available. It's my last Friday of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment