Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Came late, but it was great

I was late arriving to the run. It wasn't terribly late, so I felt if I laid in a good mile I would catch the group, which I did. Jimmy and Haley were out there, but they were run/walking. That left me to the tender mercies of Roy, Rand, and Greg.

Oboy.

I knew Greg would have some quality in mind. Would I be able to hang? Honestly, I didn't know. He began to talk about it on the way back to Jimmy's, and laid out his second-half thumbnail. Essentially he wanted three quality miles under 7-minute pace. I had the Garmin provided by Steve (thanks, Steve!), and though I haven't taken the time to set it up properly yet, I would be able to get distances.

Greg wavered a bit on his time goal as we took off, so I said, "Follow me for a bit" and I took off. I was trying to use the Garmin to land the pace, but as usual it was taking a while for it to settle down to a steady reading. When I saw the 5:50 pace I decided it was time to look around. Rand and Greg were way off the back, which meant I had gone way too fast. I know you guys that have run tempos with me before cannot possibly believe I would blow the first mile pace, but apparently I did. I slowed and let the guys catch, and we rolled into the first mile a tic or two over 7-minute pace.

We headed back to Jimmy's at the same pace, then Greg and I did one more mile. This time it was his turn to set the pace, which he did. In the end we had right at 6 miles, the second half at higher quality, just like he wanted.

Tomorrow will be a run, no ride. I may ride Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment