Saturday, September 14, 2013

Unintentional Incursions

I spent the bulk of the day with the girls at Brown County as we participated in the Eagle Classic. This year was especially exciting, as never before had so many top-ranked teams in both boys and girls gathered at this venue for the event. Everything was perfect - the course, the weather, and the race direction was without peer. This is truly one of the great events of the year, and this one was even special by their already high standards.

When I finally got home, I was left with what to do. Leisa was busy, and it was still a perfect day outside. I decided it would be wise to go ahead and ride, even if I was a bit tired. I could go spin easily on the south side, or maybe go do the Rabbitsville Road course, something easy...

As I pulled away from the house, it struck me I hadn't been north in a while. Perhaps I should go out on the 20-mile segment of the tour course. Who knows, maybe I'd take a crack at M(os)T Unpleasant?

Of course I dreaded every hill long before they arrived. With good reason. Every hill sent my heart rate out of the roof. I didn't try to crush any of them - what was the point? Instead I dropped to the low ring and tried to make them as pleasant as possible under the conditions.

Over and over I kept thinking, "Turn back. Go back into town, find an easier way", but I'd just as quickly call myself a wuss and keep going. After all, what would AtY do? So I kept going.

The moment finally came when I had to decide about Mt. Pleasant. Would I go for it? Sure, why not. Nothing to lose to start it. Besides, it would largely come down to luck anyway... if I met any traffic near the bottom, all hope of a fast time was out the door.

So I dropped, and I even pedaled into the downhill some. Of all the segments we do, this one frightens me most because of the bottom area. Push your luck a little too hard, and it will be a quick death. So yeah, at the last second I braked, then tried to re-establish, but it was too late. My speed fell from over 42 mph to below 20 in nothing flat, and I just didn't have the gas to reopen. I just let it go.

Once back in town, I needed some miles, a few. Williams Blvd was on the way, and I figured I would do a turn along Mash the Gas BS and Mash the Gas. I had no interest in Mash the Gas BS; I figured if I felt up to it, I might try Mash the Gas.

Trouble was, there was an east wind, favorable for Mash the Gas BS. As a result, I clipped it by 4 seconds. Wind-aided time! Of course that meant there wasn't much chance at Mash the Gas, which I soon discovered on the return. I cruised in and that was a day.

Actually, the real surprise came when I plugged it all in. It turns out, and I have no idea how that happened, I got KOM on "Ah, HELL no!". I made absolutely no attempt at all on time. Zero. This can only be explained as a glitch of GPS, because I CRAWLED up that hill. There were times I was afraid my GPS would Autopause because I was under 2.5 mph. Amazing result, that one.

Anyway, add to that workout the running I did today, which was actually substantial. I warmed up with the Varsity, then ran back-and-forth for two races. I wound up with pretty close to 5 miles when it was all said and done.

Tomorrow we are running in the morning I assume. At least, I am. I will also ride in the afternoon some time. I am open to suggestions.

Lord of the Segments, Pt. 6
Jimmy finally remembered his manners and ushered Normdalph in, and they retired to a small side room with just the right exposure to a rising eastern sun to cheer even the darkest spirits. Various bits of the usual pleasantries were exchanged; questions regarding one another’s doings, comments on the weather, typical polite conversation.

After a brief pause as Jimmy reflected on what to say next, Normdalph leaned in close, and almost in a whisper asked, “You know that gift your uncle left you? Do you happen to know where it is?” Jimmy seemed puzzled. “You mean Uncle Allen? Of course I do. It’s right here on the mantle. I suppose I should have charged it, but I always forget such things. You know, it’s not like I can’t sort this type of thing out. I’m just so forgetful!”

As Jimmy was talking, Normdalph was slipping gloves onto his hands. Not gloves precisely; they looked like gloves for the most part, except the fingertips were gone from each finger and thumb, and for some unexplained reason there were pads all along the palm and heal of the hand. Their purpose was inscrutable, however there was no time to ask about them, because as soon as Normdalph had them on he extended his right hand toward Jimmy, and unmistakable gesture.

Jimmy moved to the mantel, found the device and handed it to Normdalph. Normdalph carefully examined every side of the GPS, looking for markings or other clues to its origin. That it was a GPS was certain; what made it special to Normdalph was not.

“Do you mind if I turn it on?” asked Normdalph politely. “By all means!” answered Jimmy, excited to be of some use to Normdalph. Unfortunately, Jimmy had been right; he should have charged it. All attempts to start the device were fruitless. When it seemed hopeless, Normdalph made his next request. “Do you have a computer nearby?” Once again, Jimmy was puzzled, but answered, “Yes, YES, in the next room. Follow me!”

The exited through double glass-framed doors to the joining room, and there indeed sat a computer. And that wasn’t all. The desk was piled high and all around with papers and records and heirlooms and all the things Jimmy had promised himself one day to clear away, but the day never dawned. Gandalph sat down, fumbling through the chaos in front of him until he produced a piece of wire, about a foot in length, with two peculiar ends, quite different from one another, but clearly with a purpose.


Normdalph once again examined the GPS, and finding a heretofore hidden flap, pulled it back to reveal a slot exactly the size of one end of the wire. Pushing the wire in, he now searched the computer and soon found another likely candidate. Holding his breath, he slowly forced the end of the wire into the slot. In just a few seconds the monitor in front of him flickered to life, as did the screen of the GPS. Normdalph and Jimmy could only watch in amazement – the truth be told, neither had ever seen a GPS before and had no idea what to expect next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment