Sunday, September 15, 2013

Crazy action today!

Wow!

It was a beautiful day to ride, and after church several of us met at the Mitchell Church of Christ. Allen, Lester, Roy, Troy, Arlene, Elizabeth, and I left for Huck's right on the appointed hour for an easy ride.

The winds were out of the southwest, gusting, but not too strong. The ride down the Super 2 was not difficult even if we were riding more or less into it. On the way, Troy revealed to me he had nailed the Cut segment. I made a note of that one...

About halfway down the line I urged Troy to go for the uphill segment coming up. He gave a middling response, one that left me wondering whether or not he would. As we neared the turn, I prepared for my attempt. Here's how I saw it - favorable wind, Troy was there, it might be an interesting race up the top. How would seeing me there affect him? How would it affect me?

I made the move first, and shot up the hill. Ordinarily I'd much prefer to chase, but you don't always have a choice. Troy had laid back, and I couldn't be sure he was going for it. I climbed hard, but was pretty sure it wasn't as good as my previous attempts (and I was right). It was a good effort though, and if my goal is to get a hard workout, I was well on my way.

At Huck's, Allen changed the course. He needed to hurry back, and since the wind was blowing the way it was, he suggested we go back to Mitchell on Highway 37. Arlene and Elizabeth decided to go to Highway 60 and ride in, and Troy said he needed to go to the county line to get more miles.

Uh-huh.

C'mon, Troy. You were trying for the TT segment. No reason to hide it! Post that segment, fella!

Anyway, once we got to the highway, we got in a line. Lester and I eventually broke away from Roy and Allen, and with about a mile to go, Lester broke from me. Great ride, Lester! He wound up with two scalps on that one. That's right, Lester took the uphill today!

On the way home, I started thinking about the Cut. I had time, I had nothing to lose. Might as well unload and try it. My quandary centered around how far I should warm up before going for it. I had been delayed a bit. Lester needed a ride to Allen's, and I needed to get gas. As a result my legs were cold. I opted to park on Dixie Highway, right up through Burton, then drop down to the bridge. As I did this I could feel the lactic building. This was going to be tough! I poured everything into it, and fought to the very top. Was it enough? No way to know.

I was going to ride at 6 with Jimmy and Rand, so I quickly unloaded the Garmin. Success! I got the Cut, and Lester got his segments. Very cool! Now on to the next ride.

Jimmy, Rand, Scott, and I headed to Industrial. This meant circuits, which is the Jimmy workout du jour. This was going to be hard, but what the heck? Worst that happens is I fail. So, I urged the other guys to go for it. Figured someone should be able to nail it.

Scott's first attempt looked solid. I knew I wasn't as fast. Over the next three, things got better for me and worse for Scott. Jimmy too, as he called it on #4. I hoped one of us got it.

Finally we headed down to Brian Lane Way to take a crack at the stupid segment. I demonstrated how to do it, then watched traffic. Jimmy came next, and I knew his attempt was great. Scott had a bad line, and Rand entered the turn in aero (which won't work!). I felt certain Jimmy had the segment.

After we finished, I loaded it up. Jimmy has a piece of it. Apparently so do I. I didn't think my ride was any good, but it was good enough for a tie. How long will it last? Probably until lunch tomorrow. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment