Thursday, September 12, 2013

Okay, we all knew it would happen...

I ran with the girls today, and it was a great workout. We ran down the railroad bed, and we had some quality running in there. The weather was cooler and it was a much more pleasant event as a result.

Leisa wanted to grab a bit after I got home, but after supper there was still time to get out and ride, if I stayed in town and took what I could get. With that in mind I went first to Williams Blvd. to see if I could make a go of Mash the Gas. I tried twice, but it was no use and I knew it. I'm totally out of shape, and never had a chance to regain my lost KOM. Curse you, Troy! ;)

After that I dropped down to Hillcrest Circle and Industrial Park to, you guessed it, take a stab at the KOM on Industrial. I tried twice, but it was no use and I knew it. I'm totally out of shape, and never had a chance to capture my lost KOM. Curse you, Scott! ;)

I still had some daylight left, I still needed a few miles to get to 15 (my target), and it hit me - Stupid Segment, I mean, Climb to Park, or whatever you guys called it. Daylight was fading, there was a large crowd of Pop Warner football parents pulling in and out of the area, and I had no business trying to round that corner fast as I was - which of course didn't stop me from trying not once, not twice, but three times. I was on rails on this one, hitting the same time all three times - and capturing the KOM.

I cannot help but believe there was some pool out there betting on how long it would take me to try, or perhaps whether or not Troy or I would try it first.

I think I will try to ride again tomorrow after practice. I'm hoping to have a bit more time to do it, because I am way short on miles this week.

Lord of the Segments, Pt. 4
Randwise was getting an early start on the roast mutton, a job for which he possessed a particular genius. Generations of Gamgee men perfected and held secret the art of roasting mutton to mouth-watering precision. The delicate spicing, the exquisite crusting outside which sealed the juices inside… it was a delicacy often known to bring tears to the eyes in what was akin to a religious experience. Already the smells were drifting far and wide, forcing those downwind to begin anxiously checking and rechecking their watches, impatiently waiting for the festivities to begin.

Normdalph was no more immune to the intoxicating smell of roast mutton as the next person, and decided to maintain his stealth a bit longer in hopes of stealing a small precursor to the feast to come. It was no use – Randwise was always on the alert while roasting mutton. A sharp rap on his outstretched arm, delivered by a gnarled walking stick held for just such a purpose, forcefully reminded Normdalph he would have to wait just as everyone else would.

Randwise’s reaction had been more instinctual than cognitive, and when he finally looked into the face of the would-be food thief he was instantly mortified. “Forgive me, Master Normdalph! I had no idea it was you!” cried Randwise, head bowed in fear and respect. “Now, now, think nothing of it,” replied Normdalph, “…no harm done. Though my pain would be sooner healed with just a smidgeon of this fine meat…”

Rap! Randwise’s stick came down hard against Normdalph’s outstretched hand. As sorry and fearful as he was to do it, Randwise could allow no one to sample his food until it was perfect. The Gamgee family reputation rested upon his skills, and even the threat of annihilation could not have prevented him defending his honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment